4 new tyres fitted, check esp light came on twice!

Discussion in 'Wheels and Tyres' started by chris mcm, Apr 23, 2015.

1. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    Fitted 4 new goodyear eagle f1 and had the tracking sorted too and on the drive home the check esp light came on. So pulled into the hard shoulder and switched the engine off, the light disappeared. After another few miles it came on again. Stopped at an atm and drove off and the light hasn't come on again, whats going on here?

2. Paddy_R

Paddy_R Platinum Member

Car:
    RS 200 FF (red)
    Possibly just resetting itself. If the lights off I wouldn't be worrying.

3. gaz

gaz

Turn the wheel fully lock to lock

4. CallorFold

CallorFold Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio 220 Trophy
    Good to know! I've just placed an order for 2 Eagle F1's - unfortunately not by choice by a nail has found it's way into my tyre (unrepairable) so both the front's are getting replaced. Will be interesting to see the difference between the SportContact 5's and the F1's

5. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    Good to know [MENTION=32]gaz[/MENTION] , are you guessing or is that a proper solution?

6. Kazumz

Kazumz

Car:
    Clio RS 200 Gordini
    Good call by stopping as soon as possible.

I've seen people drive for miles with the engine light on, absolutely crazy.

7. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    Check esp wouldn't have anything to do with the engine though, or am I wrong? But yes I would always stop straight away of I got a warning light for anything.

8. -Eddie-

-Eddie- Missing In Action Paid Member

Car:
    200 Cup
    Are all the tyres the same/correct size?

9. Jmax

Jmax 197 F1 Team Platinum Member

Car:
    Ford Fiesta ST2
    And on the right way round?

10. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    They are all 225/45/17. What do you mean on the right way round lol?
    I realise that the correct size for the wheel is 215 but before I changed to the Eagles there were 2x225 on the front and 2x215 on the back for some reason before I bought the car and it was driving fine. So the only tyre sizes I've changed was at the back.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  11. Chris

Chris Bad cop

Car:
    LY 200t
    There is a right and a wrong way round to a tyre.

The tyre will say outside or inside, printed into the sidewall.

12. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    there should be an arrow which points the way the wheel should spin forward...

13. Jmax

Jmax 197 F1 Team Platinum Member

Car:
    Ford Fiesta ST2
    Your question has been answered.

Its surprising how many tyre places actually get the fitting of the tyres wrong. It might solve your problem, it might not. But at least its another thing to tick off the list.

14. Jamz72

Jamz72

Car:
    GW 200
    It might have something to do with fitting bigger width tyres on the rear wheels.. the overall diameter of the wheel+tyre will be slightly bigger now and the ABS ECU might need time to re-calibrate itself and learn the new size.

15. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    [​IMG][/URL]Tyre by chrismcmahon1984, on Flickr[/IMG][​IMG][/URL]Tyre by chrismcmahon1984, on Flickr[/IMG]

now I'm confused, fitting a tyre shouldn't be this hard. The Orange and green lines you see are on the outside portion of each tyre which would make sense. There is also a "rim protector" marker on each tyre facing outwards. But from the low shot you can see that the tread patters aren't the opposite on each side. Should they not be mirror images of each other? The wavy part of the tread on each side is going up to the right. ??????

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  16. gaz

gaz

No it recalibrates the esp supposedly

ive had issues before when on a two post lift with the wheels spinning. Drop it down and the check esp is displayed. I've read steering lock to lock recalibrates

17. Pav

Pav Moderator

Car:
    albi blue 197 with boost
    no the ecu doesnt need to re-calibrate...fitted my 225/45 yokohama tires and never had any of the above mentioned issues..the tire width has nothing to do with that..did it go into limp mode??

18. chris mcm

chris mcm

Car:
    RB 197 Cup
    No, just the wee red spanner thing lit up and the dash said check esp. Turned off the engine it went away and came back on a few miles later. Restarted engine again and it didn't come back on for the rest of the journey, il be taking it for a good drive in a bit so il let you know the results.

19. Chris

Chris Bad cop

Car:
    LY 200t
    The lines on the tyre are for fitting iirc.

Just look on each tyre, if it said outside on every one they are correct.

Im sure this is not the problem though... Did they disconnect the battery for any reason? Or do anything else to the car?

20. Stephenvenning

Stephenvenning Gold Member

Car:
    Clio 197
    Possibly disconnect the battery for half hour, this can reset the ecu. May solve it, make sure you have your radio code handy however.