Different fuels = different drive?

I've read lots of diverging opinions about this. Some say only 98 while others swear on Ultimate or V-Power. I've only filled mine with V-Power so far and don't have any issues. An other Sport Auto Edition owner which was my passenger on a trip said mine is reacting quite well when pushing the pedal.

I normally use Tesco 99, but did try Shell V-power & thought perhaps the car was a tad happier on that. I've also used Esso & BP Ultimate when I've been unable to find these and despite these being 97 octane (I believe Esso is 97?) the car ran fine. Last month I found myself desperate for fuel out in the sticks & was forced to stick a fiver's worth of 95 octane in to get me out of a hole. Surprisingly the car didn't seem to mind too much, though I was pottering along to save fuel. This is despite the car being mapped at RS Tuning whilst running on Tesco 99. I still think, however that these cars are at their best when run on the higher octane fuels. Shell V-power being the best, with Tesco 99 a good cheaper alternative.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I never used anything else apart from v power so I wouldn't even know..think its a good idea to put a diff make in from time to time though...

Will give V Power a try in mine soon, i usually run Momentum 99 and am quite please with it. However last few visits i've had to stick to regular unleaded as they had ran out :censored:

During probably 95% of my ownership I've used Tesco Momentum, after trying the car on a few different ones it seems to like this the best. Plus it's cheaper and more readily available for me, I'd be going out of my way to go to a shell.. do sometimes put a couple of tanks of VPower in if I'm passing and happen to need fuel.

I've used Sainsbury's super (97 ron) many times, alongside V-Power - I get Nectar points with Sainsburys and the loyalty card with Shell. Same as Shuv, I don't really do enough miles to be bothered for the price difference - I fill it up when it gets to the minimum and it costs ~£60-65, regardless of which station I use. The decision is based on which is the closest when I'm driving past.

I can honestly say I've never noticed a difference between either the Shell or the Sainsburys, in all kinds of driving conditions, for better or worse. I don't dispute at all the benefits of using V-Power, however I also think that Shell are very good marketeers.....

When we were up in Scotland for the NC500, we had to fill up with regular octane on one occasion - again, I personally didn't notice any adverse effects, but I wouldn't normally use 95 day-to-day.

I use V-Power only as I was told it was very good. I quite like the idea of putting the best possible fuel in my car as everything else my car gets is top notch(&dear):grinning:
Car has been mapped to V Power so no going back now.
Don’t quite believe that it’s that much better than other companies premium fuel if I’m honest.

Reactions: Pav
I've only had my car for 6 months but only ever used Tesco Momentum. A mate of mine runs a mapped RX7 pushing over 400hp on the stuff (same petrol station) and just like Jimmy above I get Clubcard points. I've been doing alot of motorway mileage recently and purely sticking to 70mph at cruise, combined with a little town driving and I'm getting close to 400 miles to a tank.

I'd like to try V-power but the closest station is 20 miles each direction whereas the Tesco is 2 miles up the road :grinning:

Reactions: Jimmy
I've used Sainsbury's super (97 ron) many times, alongside V-Power - I get Nectar points with Sainsburys and the loyalty card with Shell. Same as Shuv, I don't really do enough miles to be bothered for the price difference - I fill it up when it gets to the minimum and it costs ~£60-65, regardless of which station I use. The decision is based on which is the closest when I'm driving past.

I can honestly say I've never noticed a difference between either the Shell or the Sainsburys, in all kinds of driving conditions, for better or worse. I don't dispute at all the benefits of using V-Power, however I also think that Shell are very good marketeers.....

When we were up in Scotland for the NC500, we had to fill up with regular octane on one occasion - again, I personally didn't notice any adverse effects, but I wouldn't normally use 95 day-to-day.

You remember Pav crying everytime about not having v-power? - lol!

You remember Pav crying everytime about not having v-power? - lol!
it was physically hurting me to use their cheapo stuff :cry::cry:
but hey ho,as above..not noticed much of a difference..think in a long run you should use any decent fuel but if you dont have a choice.a cheapo one will do for a short period of time...

anyone can shed some light on this for me?what's the shell loyalty card for??must have like a zillion points on it by now:sunglasses:

Reactions: Jimmy
it was physically hurting me to use their cheapo stuff :cry::cry:
but hey ho,as above..not noticed much of a difference..think in a long run you should use any decent fuel but if you dont have a choice.a cheapo one will do for a short period of time...

anyone can shed some light on this for me?what's the shell loyalty card for??must have like a zillion points on it by now:sunglasses:

If you register fully with address etc on it - they send you money-off vouchers every 3 months. And some freebies too !

BTW: @Pav - i'd literally pull my last hairs out of i had to put ASDA own brand in for example.

Making me come out in a rash thinking about it.............

Well despite telling Pav 50 times when he’s saying no I’ll hang on for fuel, that he’s NOT going to find a shell station in the most remote part of the route 500 lol where fuel stations are few and far between full stop!

Reactions: Pav
Well despite telling Pav 50 times when he’s saying no I’ll hang on for fuel, that he’s NOT going to find a shell station in the most remote part of the route 500 lol where fuel stations are few and far between full stop!

I admire his optimism !