Cup Speedline rims size and weight

Just simple as this, OEM are 7.5x17

If you're buying new rims, it would be better if you upgrade for better GRIP mate by then you got 2 choices:

Either 8x17 or 8x18 but OEM tyres won't fit on 18s
The target we are trying to achive here is the following:
Better look, lighter weight (Thats why I'm keeping them 17), and better grip (Thats why I'm upgrading them from 7.5 to 8

Fitting OEM tyres on 8x17 is possible mate, but its pointless since we're looking for better grip, so do as barn and me, get 8x17, use your current tyres till they're finished, then get new set of them but with bigger size :smile:

Last edited:
OEM - ET68
8x17 Ultraleggeras got ET55

Barn, A048 much older, then A050 - they much gripper, better look for them!
A050.jpg

The Track would be widened by 38,7mm to be precise.

13mm offset + 6.35mm from the rim itself on each side. :smile:

What would be better and what might be the result in terms of steering respond, grip, acceleration and petrol consumption by fitting 225x45x17 OR 235x40x17 on 8jx17?

rolling radius is slightly bigger on 225 iirc but we are talking a few mm. So no real change in acceleration. Grip will be better with wider tyre and narrower side wall as a larger contact patch and less side wall deflection but tyres will be heavier and more expensive.

by the way. Cant find a050s in this country. I am getting r1rs now. As good in the dry as 888 but better in the wet and last a bit longer

a wheel/tire expert said handling (turn-in) will be affected if going from 215 to 225 or more

true?

profile doesn't matter, he said it's the width of the tire - the contact surface between the tire & tarmac

what tire width are the racing cup clios using?

What would be better and what might be the result in terms of steering respond, grip, acceleration and petrol consumption by fitting 225x45x17 OR 235x40x17 on 8jx17?

I use 235/40 R17 R888's on my ultraleggera's.

The turn in is much sharper, higher grip, the acceleration hasn't changed for the worse as it works out 1.4kg per corner lighter than my standard Renault speediness 7.5x17 with CSC3 215/45 R17.

I'm going to try the standard size on the wider wheel when the R888's are worn out, which should be soon, I've managed 2600 miles and just swapped the left to the right and vice versa to get a bit more life out of them. (old lefts have 2.5mm old rights have 3mm) our trackdays up here are very rarely dry though.

profile doesn't matter, he said it's the width of the tire - the contact surface between the tire & tarmac

High profile isn't good for turns mate!!! Would your turn be same as it if you were using 215x55x17 instead of 215x45x17? :smile:

I use 235/40 R17 R888's on my ultraleggera's.

The turn in is much sharper, higher grip, the acceleration hasn't changed for the worse as it works out 1.4kg per corner lighter than my standard Renault speediness 7.5x17 with CSC3 215/45 R17.

I'm going to try the standard size on the wider wheel when the R888's are worn out, which should be soon, I've managed 2600 miles and just swapped the left to the right and vice versa to get a bit more life out of them. (old lefts have 2.5mm old rights have 3mm) our trackdays up here are very rarely dry though.

Thats what i'm expecting, sharper turn as the profile is 40 and higher grip with 235

So you're using 235x40x17 on 8jx17 which is what i'm more into trying :thumbup:

Would you please post few pictures for them to see how they look like on the car? ;/

Update us when you fit your 215x45x17 on 8jx17 please :001_rolleyes:

Appreciated :thumbup1:

Great mate, on which wheels size are you going to fit them?

Pictures to follow please :001_rolleyes:

Got all 4 for £225.

Hopefully I'll fit them on the brand new set of 8x17 Ultras. But, given in mind my current financial situation it will be on the stock alloys.:tongue_smilie:

They use the equivalent to the standard width 215/45R17 on the 8x17 Speedline.