Cup Setup

Hi all, own a FF 197 non cup, car is on over 60k miles and I think it deserves a set of new shocks now, thinking of getting it cupped, bought the shocks and now I am wondering what would be a better choice.

A) Cup shocks and standard springs

B) Cup shocks and Eibach springs

What do you think? Would cup shocks work well with a standard "sport chassis" spring ?

Would rather not lower the car as then I need spacers or new wheels to make it look good...

thanks!

The Cup cars have different shocks AND springs to standard. The Cup springs are about £110 for the front (not sure on the rear) so if I were you I'd be buying 200 Cup shocks and Eibach Pro springs.

Yes I know the initial factory setup is different both for the spring and dampers, but thought it could benefit from a better shock while retaining some more flex to the ride with a slightly softer spring, rally experience makes me think it shold work fine, thought I'd ask though to be sure or maybe someone has already tried this setup... anyway have a set of eibachs as well so will make some experiments in the future

Does anyone have the parts numbers for the different springs and dampers? I can only find references to reg numbers and colour codes.

Unfortunately UK reg no.s don't work over here and the local dealers struggle to give me any sort of useful info.

Last edited:
thanks all, already have a set of dampers and eibachs, just wondering if using cup shocks with a standard spring would be good, seeing as no one has tried it makes me want to try even more :wink:

thanks all, already have a set of dampers and eibachs, just wondering if using cup shocks with a standard spring would be good, seeing as no one has tried it makes me want to try even more :wink:

As in FF springs? No, I wouldn't do that if I were you, they weren't designed to go together.

from a theoretical standpoint I would not think so, as you normally have harder valving to control a stronger spring. It is possible the harder damper will keep the softer spring from extending quickly enough to keep the tyre sufficiently in contact with the road....Then again this is only theory, perhaps someone actually knows?

this should be a good B-road setup, proper shock absorber and a softer spring, rally experts I asked :wink: agree this should work fine, worth trying I guess, a lot of people that prepare N'group rally cars for bumpy tarmac stages often use standard springs with bilstein shocks, see no reason why this shouldnt work well in a 197