Coil over that are close to std cup setup?

Im a novice to the 197 so I might get some things wrong, I have a r27, fantastic condition throughout inc the undercarriage but had it on the ramp and the wheels off for a nosey and noticed the struts looking a bit sorry for themselves, bit of surface rust etc, will be cleaned up temporary but will prob go for some coil overs when replacing.

Now from what I can tell, its on std dampers and a set of lowering springs front and rear, only looking at it last evening and think they are h&r possibly 30 or 40mm springs, purple in colour

Now the ride is ok, lets say I can live with it ok, I deffo would not want it harder, so my question is, if I wanted to retain the same ride height (think it sits really well) and ride no harder than it is now what recommendation would you guys have? Dont want to go bonkers but want good quality at the same time!

I've been through the suspension thread but with so many diffent opinions I'd like to list specifically what I have and what I'm after as I might be easier to get a specific answer from possibly some one who had this setup and went coil overs

Cheers Anthony

Im a novice to the 197 so I might get some things wrong, I have a r27, fantastic condition throughout inc the undercarriage but had it on the ramp and the wheels off for a nosey and noticed the struts looking a bit sorry for themselves, bit of surface rust etc, will be cleaned up temporary but will prob go for some coil overs when replacing.

Now from what I can tell, its on std dampers and a set of lowering springs front and rear, only looking at it last evening and think they are h&r possibly 30 or 40mm springs, purple in colour

Now the ride is ok, lets say I can live with it ok, I deffo would not want it harder, so my question is, if I wanted to retain the same ride height (think it sits really well) and ride no harder than it is now what recommendation would you guys have? Dont want to go bonkers but want good quality at the same time!

I've been through the suspension thread but with so many diffent opinions I'd like to list specifically what I have and what I'm after as I might be easier to get a specific answer from possibly some one who had this setup and went coil overs

Cheers Anthony
I came from non-cup std suspension and went with Bilstein B14s. They're excellent all round and the ride remains good. Very happy with them :smile:

I came from non-cup std suspension and went with Bilstein B14s. They're excellent all round and the ride remains good. Very happy with them :smile:

Hi bud, thanks for the reply, if possible sometime you have a chance could you measure (settled) from flat ground to top of arch on front and back arches for me, (no rush just when you are out working on the car again) I don't know what mine is but it will give me a good indication as to when it will sit with the Billy's compared to where it sits now.

Cheers bud

Hi bud, thanks for the reply, if possible sometime you have a chance could you measure (settled) from flat ground to top of arch on front and back arches for me, (no rush just when you are out working on the car again) I don't know what mine is but it will give me a good indication as to when it will sit with the Billy's compared to where it sits now.

Cheers bud
Yep I'll take a look but they are adjustable for ride height and mine is lowered.

Reactions: Cossers
Thanks bud, just read that some although adjustable still sit high at the back! How does the ride height adjust on the rear?

The rear spring and shock are separate, and the adjuster sits on the spring. I also have the B14's, and they sit plenty low enough, any more and it really would ruin the handling which obviously defeats the purpose of fitting them in the first place.
Both H&R and Spax coilvers go lower at the rear than KW's and B14's though.

TBH, as much as I like the lower ride height look, I couldn't live with it being much harder! What sort of money are you into fro something with like a softness adjustment? Prob not a term but hope you know what I mean

The cheapest coilovers with adjustable shocks would be the Spax I think, at around £700. But, you have to ask if you really need it. The Bilsteins are far better imo, damping is very good due to the shock design, and they are very compliant during day-to-day 'regular' driving, but firm up nicely when pushing on.

Reactions: kevlar
had a std set up (way too soft),then i put Eibach springs on and the ride?height got a bit better..
now im on the B14's and cant fault them..and as above,great for everyday driving and occasional track day..