cost of megane conversion

On ITB's and revving to 7k+ would sound ****ing epic too! Should give decent throttle response too, but for me if it doesn't pump up the torque a little they'll fall at the first hurdle.

Ben was taking about 190ish, which is enough for me. I think added to the driveability, won't make it the fastest but would but it up against anything. Don't forget, the clio at present on decent roads in the right hands, supercars can't put distance between it. It will be all about how it puts the power down that matters.

^^^ defo! Do the hard bit yourself or with a mate, then pass it over for the ecu stuff, would imagine u could save a lot!

I've been told by a few places that the Meg 250 engine would fit in a 200. Ideal as the 225/230 Meg's engines will be a little long in the tooth when it comes to the conversion being done on the green one.

ok, so as someone who has put thier money where thier mouth is.....

Cost wise, you can pick up an engine for around £1200. That needs to be a complete engine, with ECU and engine bay wiring loom.

Labour charge wise, getting someone like k-tec to do it, your looking at around £2-2,500. Thats for a complete drive in, drive out conversion. With custom made Pace intercooler, all pipework, etc etc etc. Plus everything runs perfectly. No loss of cruise control, speed limiter etc etc.

They can turn it around in about 1-2 weeks.

My car is running 265bhp and 335lb/ft. That is a standard engine with a remap. Standard cat still in place.

I am currently running the clio gearbox, which although being advised it wouldn't survive, has done fairly well so far. It is starting to feel a little sloppy. But thats to be expected, as its not built to take that kind of torque. I have a 225 box waiting to go in, once my Quaife diff arrives.

People have mentioned the lack of revs compared to the n/a lump. But the megane still revs to just over 7k. So its not like your going from a n/a screamer to a diesel lump!

Its also effortless to drive. You dont have to wring its neck to get power. Anything over 3k and you have tones of it, and it doesnt tail off sharply, so you can keep your foot in up the rev range.

Although there have been some cases of 'stage 2' cars going pop, there are many running fine. Its generally down to the con rods being out of a 172/182. So if you do decide to go 'big' power, then ideally forging the engine is the way to go. The same as you would if you went 'big' power n/a.

Personally, I have ZERO regrets about doing this to my car. It is still the same Clio 200 that I fell in love with when I first got it..... its just now a fair chunk faster!

Oh and one last thing, if you are thinking of getting it done, I would advise using someone like k-tec or RST, as they know exactly what they are doing. Anyone who has tried it at another garage, or themselves, seems to have always had some issues somewhere.

Last edited:
mat, cant say ive had issues with what paul has done with mine! gear box was my fault and my decision! part from that pretty sport on, tho ive gone with a fmc

ok, so as someone who has put thier money where thier mouth is.....

Cost wise, you can pick up an engine for around £1200. That needs to be a complete engine, with ECU and engine bay wiring loom.

Labour charge wise, getting someone like k-tec to do it, your looking at around £2-2,500. Thats for a complete drive in, drive out conversion. With custom made Pace intercooler, all pipework, etc etc etc. Plus everything runs perfectly. No loss of cruise control, speed limiter etc etc.

They can turn it around in about 1-2 weeks.

My car is running 265bhp and 335lb/ft. That is a standard engine with a remap. Standard cat still in place.

I am currently running the clio gearbox, which although being advised it wouldn't survive, has done fairly well so far. It is starting to feel a little sloppy. But thats to be expected, as its not built to take that kind of torque. I have a 225 box waiting to go in, once my Quaife diff arrives.

People have mentioned the lack of revs compared to the n/a lump. But the megane still revs to just over 7k. So its not like your going from a n/a screamer to a diesel lump!

Its also effortless to drive. You dont have to wring its neck to get power. Anything over 3k and you have tones of it, and it doesnt tail off sharply, so you can keep your foot in up the rev range.

Although there have been some cases of 'stage 2' cars going pop, there are many running fine. Its generally down to the con rods being out of a 172/182. So if you do decide to go 'big' power, then ideally forging the engine is the way to go. The same as you would if you went 'big' power n/a.

Personally, I have ZERO regrets about doing this to my car. It is still the same Clio 200 that I fell in love with when I first got it..... its just now a fair chunk faster!

Oh and one last thing, if you are thinking of getting it done, I would advise using someone like k-tec, as they know exactly what they are doing. Anyone who has tried it at another garage, or themselves, seems to have always had some issues somewhere.

Good write up Matt, when I saw your car at FCS I was very impressed. I have between toying with the idea of Supercharging/forging like Mike but my only concern is the 200 gearbox.

Loks like I have a bit of thinking to do. Whatever I decide I'm looking at September time but threads like this are great cos we get the bigger picture.

sorry, my bad! Editied for accuracy!

It was more of a case of go to the experts, rather than your local garage saying 'yeah, i can do that in a week', only for it to be there for months with them having little or no clue as how to complete the conversion :smile:

its not such a big issue the rev limit on the turbo engine as they are revving way past peak power...

the n/a just keeps gaining and tails off very little at the limiter

as for the turbo the extra bit of revs over peak is good but with them being so "torquie" its not that important as you can just grab another gear and still have that pull...

I'd go the supercharger route...

My last car was petrol 300hp/390lbft and tbh the power was far too easy to get at, made it boring to drive although clearly really effective!!

Hence buying a Clio and not a Megane. This is a rite ball to drive.

Although, I'd just leave it standard not worth the money.

u need to get weiring loom and megane ecu for ease as well, tho effective the megane and clio ecu are the same, the boost part of the ecu is hard to unlock on the clio side.

megane ecu's go for about £100

They only rev to over 7k depending on who its has been mapped by and by what stage, the standard engine revs to 6.4k

Strange, as I asked my 2 mates to check.

One with an r26 and one with an r26.r, both tested the lower rev theory and both came back to me saying the rev counter shows 7k rpm or there abouts on the limiter.

So either the rev counters are both wrong or...?!?

Strange, as I asked my 2 mates to check.

One with an r26 and one with an r26.r, both tested the lower rev theory and both came back to me saying the rev counter shows 7k rpm or there abouts on the limiter.

So either the rev counters are both wrong or...?!?

both rev to 7000rpm when standard power is at 5500rpm isnt it?

seems a bit daft going that far over peak power....i can under stand a limit say of 6000-6500rpm but 1500rpm over the top must be a massive fall off in power/torque!

might make more if both are in standard form, if u want abit more like a remap, megane engine all the way, clio engone with out it being forged wont take any more.

price wise is

fully working engine roughly ( 1 - 1.5k )
parts roughly ( 1-2k )
labour, which ranges depending on where u go ( 1.5 - 2.5k )

Just for some clarification on this Jonesy.

The price you gave for the fully working engine would that include the turbo and ancillaries?

Part price would include what? Meg ECU, loom etc? Or should you expect this stuff to come with the engine?

Just for some clarification on this Jonesy.

The price you gave for the fully working engine would that include the turbo and ancillaries?

Part price would include what? Meg ECU, loom etc? Or should you expect this stuff to come with the engine?

that would would include everything to make the engine work, so yes, turbo, ancillaires, ecu, wiring loom etc....