Complete lack of grip?

M

Mentalpen

Ok having reached 625 miles i pushed her but on 2 occasions i've had a complete lack of grip :scared:

first was at a small roundabout where i went into it not that fast, turned in and nothing.....

front end just slid like it was on ice! managed to create lift off over stear, dip clutch and just collect it before i hit the curb.

i put it down to oil but again it happened yesterday :scared:

turned in but front end didn't go.....

i'm used to PE2's as i've always swapped to them but it can't be down to tyres can it?

do they need running in? dealer put wheel shine on perhaps? even if so i've done nearly 700 miles in her and just have no confidence in the car.

and yes i've had a 172/ cupped 182 and a cupped 197 so i know how i expect her to handle.

:worried:

How fast were you going mate, and at what point did the car let go?

Were the tyres cold? < (big effect)

Was the road slightly greasy?

I had a similar moment lately in the 197, i took a corner at not silly speeds that I knew well and carried on going forwards!

I've done both corners hundreds of times in the same conditions and never had a problem.

I was doing a max of 40 mph and damp at worst conditions.

With the car doing 5/10 mins of driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to add in the 197 if I were pushing on I could do 60 just in one of the corners last night I was doing 35!

Give it another 500 miles and it'll be fine.

You looked under to see if they have left the suspension blocks (The blocks the put on to transport the car) have been removed?

PE2's are a very very good tyre.

I have just fitted new Conti's as I only needed two, still not as good as my old PE2 :-(

I wish I went for the PE2's now but that's life.

Same thing happened to me the other night, I by no means rag the car all over, but was late the other night coming home from work, went to do 40-45mph through a roundabout, went in gear 5 over to 3, slightly on the brakes, turned in and back end just went, ended up going sideways. Think I'll buy some new tyres.

Give it another 500 miles and it'll be fine.

You looked under to see if they have left the suspension blocks (The blocks the put on to transport the car) have been removed?

yes nothing there....

It could be coz your tyres are new mate and it's cold, can't think of anything else buddy, the 197 is usually on rails I've never had a problem, so the 200 should do a better job. If your unsure it's brand new so take it to Renault mate.

i'm away for 3 days now so i'll warm them and try again when i get back.

will take a while to trust her again though =:O(

Iv just put some new contis on the front and have had quite a few problems with understeer so I think they do take a while to get bedded in properly iv only done a fair few motorway miles, few twisties so they havent really been worked hard. Thats the only thing I can think of anyways!

Tyre pressures / punctures!
33 F 31 R i think?

If slightly low mine feels noticably less sharp.

If not I would just take it somewhere quiet and get some 'heat' in the tyres

Wheelspins / hard braking. :biggrin:

Then see again.

yeah will try and give them some jip at the weekend but its hard not to think of the impending ditch!

may just be because its a long time since i had conties and used to PE2's

the 197 would have had them on originally but it would have been sept 05 since i last had them with the 172 as the 182 were PE2's from the start.

mine does the same mate. It's particularly bad on the new roundabout at the back of the new asda at glasshoughten. Iv nearly hit the kerb a few times ther. I wonder if its the road surface with mine tho, because it only seems to slide on newly (ish) laid tarmac, on the old stuff it sticks like shit. Very strange

mine does the same mate. It's particularly bad on the new roundabout at the back of the new asda at glasshoughten. Iv nearly hit the kerb a few times ther. I wonder if its the road surface with mine tho, because it only seems to slide on newly (ish) laid tarmac, on the old stuff it sticks like shit. Very strange

Didnt realise you were so close to me! The GF sees your car all the time! I love the roundabout TBH iv never had a problem like that