Community Project - Micah's Aftermarket Exhaust Test

Micah

Founder of Team Clique
Oh hai guys, as you know I'm currently quite miffed at the sheer loudness of my RESONATED Scorpion system.
I bought it thinking it was going to be a little louder than standard. This is not the case and I can only compare it to having a 50 minute MRI scan with all the low, bass heavy resonance going through your skull at idle (cold start), decelerating from 30 to 20, and sitting at 70.

This thread is a journey through science and troubleshooting, so please feel free to participate in this little experiment.

As countless videos to people like @sevenfourate and others proved fruitless due to the device not picking up the true sound in the cabin, I tried to find a workaround that could benchmark cabin noise and compare accurately to others, no matter where we are.
After reading through countless forums regarding drone and sound deadening, someone mentioned a free decibel app. I hastily installed Decibel 10th: Pro Noise Meter to check the noise in the cabin. Alas, I have nothing to compare it to, so decided to create this post in the hope the good forum members on here could participate in this test to ease my paranoia/help me identify any issues (with the car, not me, I have plenty!) that could be further investigated.

My results were:
Idle (warm) 83dB
70mph 89dB
Acceleration from 70+ 94dB

If you wish to help me sleep more easily, please install the app and post your findings on here as a true comparison. Other factors to consider are:
Radio OFF
Fan OFF
Windows UP
Seats/Parcel Shelf FITTED

THIS IS OPEN TO ALL MEMBERS WITH ANY EXHAUST SETUP (EVEN STANDARD) AND TRIM INSTALLED/REMOVED

And please, please drive responsibly and in full control of the car at all times :smile:

If there are any other theories out there, please mention them also - I have already harassed @Jimmy regarding the rubber mounts, but the rear box seemed to be sitting perfectly upon installation.

Thanks in advance!

I've got a db app on my phone - so will get my readings ASAP.

Interestingly - on the way to the Christmas meal yesterday we agreed to sit at a steady 70mph. My didn't annoy me -but you knew it was there for sure. Drone ? Yea: a bit.....

We got chatting around the table and the noise thing came up. Some-one suggested for whatever reason this is about the noisiest cruising speed in a Clio !!

Personally: even though it was 1.30am I stopped at my private test track on the way home - and pretty sure I agree - it's 'considerably' quieter at 80mph than it is at 70mph !

@Big Ben was talking about utilising his test-area for some speed / noise relationship testing on the way home too ?

Reactions: Johnny 99
Yes indeed... On my extremely foggy private test track i can confirm that with the scorpion resonated system as you approach 4000rpm in 6th gear there is a noticeable decrease in cabin noise which stays like that until approx 5500rpm, when sound then becomes unimportant and safety becomes priority:excited:

Reactions: Beany and Micah
Yes indeed... On my extremely foggy private test track i can confirm that with the scorpion resonated system as you approach 4000rpm in 6th gear there is a noticeable decrease in cabin noise which stays like that until approx 5500rpm, when sound then becomes unimportant and safety becomes priority:excited:

Just lolz.

Very happy to take part in this, will install the app and get on it!

As Shuv says, we discussed the drone at motorway speeds at the meal - 70 is definitely the worst speed for headache-induced noise...thankfully on the journey home my 80's mix tape neutralised it :thumb:

These cars aren't really that well suited to motorway cruising, to be fair - they are capable of doing it, but they certainly aren't 'GT' cars. I'm more than happy with my exhaust around town and hooning, but I'm not looking forward to the next motorway trip... I pity the poor soul who had to drive to Czech and back with a non-resonated system... oh, Hi @Pav :wink:

lols @ 80's mix tape @Jimmy

:smiley: it's amazing how well Simple Minds/Bryan Adams/Def Leppard/Baltimora/Then Jericho can calm the mind and soothe the soul on a boring drive up the A1!

As a 'safe' compromise on speed, I did find around 75 (indicated) on the CC made a bit of a difference when it came to easing the drone.

*****Apologies @Micah for going off-topic so quickly.

App is on my phone - and im gonna set myself a reminder on my phone to get readings on the way in to work.

Will report back and post here.

AMAZING DIG THAT !

Thought i remembered it. Went on Youtube.

Now rocking the house and possibly the neighbours with it. Kids looking at me like i'm some sort of retard........

Tarzan Boy, it's the cornerstone of 80s pop :tonguewink: and if you remember that, do you remember this ?

Apologies to @Micah for taking this thread waaaaay off course :grimacing:

It's what I should expect after what sounds like a good night out!
Appreciate your comments guys, no matter how off topic they go.
Phone placement is in your hand (ahem)/on your lap/mounted securely on a vent mounted holder :wink:
Car is definitely quieter at 60 and 80 than 70.

What? Think my car is geared to about 18.9mph/1000rpm in 6th.
Did you ask the waitress to work it out:tearsofjoy:?

Your on shorter gearing of course.

I believe my 200 has shorter gears at the start of the box and a longer 5th and 6th Compared to you.

Lol@ the waitress. Dont see the issue with here tbh. She did us proud !

Reactions: Big Ben
@Micah

Went to test this am. Two things immediately crossed my mind.

Are we all using same app ? (My tickover is noticeably less than yours).

And even more so - we are alll on different gearing. So 70mph in one car is different RPM to someone else.

So shouldn't we be rev not speed tested to make it scientific ?

Reactions: jasonlovesfrench
My results were:
System Standard with K-Tec decat pipe
Iphone SE
Phone location
- passenger Recaro
Idle (warm) Not done yet
70mph 86.3d
Acceleration from 70mph Not done yet
Radio OFF
Fan OFF
Windows UP
Seats/Parcel Shelf FITTED

Last edited:
I suppose we should. My technical knowledge is limited, so do we need to state if it's a 197/200 etc, or does a remap also come into it?
IIRC 70mph sits roughly at 3,200rpm
The app needs to be Decibel 10th on the App Store/Google.