Community Project - Micah's Aftermarket Exhaust Test

What is all that stuff coming out of it. Thats cant be normal. Bet Scorpion don't advertise that in their sales blurb !

SENT THAT PIC TO THEM............

Could always try some universal rubber hangers, might be worth it for the sake of a few quid rather than get rid of it.
Mine resonates massively in the cabin at certain revs, I'm really hoping that reverting to the original upper engine mount resolves it otherwise it'll be a long 14hrs drive to Spa....

What is all that stuff coming out of it. Thats cant be normal. Bet Scorpion don't advertise that in their sales blurb !

SENT THAT PIC TO THEM............

I'll certainly let them know about it when they want to pick up the phone! Guessing they might be off this week.
Any thoughts on the vid?

Sadly not. Tissue only did it near the flex, nowhere else in the bay though.

It's definitely resonance in the cabin, and something @Jimmy also suggested. These are OEM hangers though, wouldn't anything uprated be firmer?
Time for Jimmy to get under his diffuser and have a look :tongueout:

Just had a look at the 'How To' for removing the diffuser... Not convinced it would go too smoothly if I'm honest :smiley: I am interested to have a look for myself though, to see what it's like under there...

It's dead easy Jimmy, even I could do it and took no more than a few minutes.
Anyway, I've just driven on the motorway and it's completely different. Yes, still loud but doesn't go through my head. Is it something to do with the diffuser being refitted?! Bizarre!

@sevenfourate I don't get it :tongueout:

Ok, well I may have a look at it tomorrow and see what I think :smiley:

I did notice this morning that the left hand side pipe trim is catching and vibrating very slightly on the diffuser - you possibly had something similar, and refitting it has moved it even just a little bit, stopped the vibration?? Or the diffuser wasn't on as securely as it could have been??

Take the diffuser off and go for a spin, I drove once without the diffuser on and the exhaust was noticeably quieter - be interesting to see if you find the same?
I had a theory that the diffuser heat shield and the floor of the car act like a sound box. I think you could remove the diffuser heat shield and replace it with some of the adhesive exhaust heat mating as that'll absorb the sound and stop it resonating like a box. (some on the floor above the exhaust wouldn't hurt either).

There's half a dozen suitable looking products here: http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/motorsport/heat-shielding-protection

Just driven up home to Inverness having picked my car up with the newly fitted Cobra exhaust & Quaife diff. Can't comment on the diff as I only cruised up the A9, but that would be for another thread anyway. Ok, the Cobra exhaust... I went for resonated as I wanted a sporty sound, but not TOO loud. Also had 200 cell Cobra sports cat fitted. Initial impression something like @Micah had with his Scorpion system, as in jeepers this is loud! Lovely fruity sound though & some pops on the over run. Very loud at certain revs when accelerating. However dies down in a cruise until you come to an uphill incline. Not sure I would want it as a daily drive so just as well it's my weekend toy. I'm told it will probably get quieter as it settles so we'll see. Definitely more keen to rev & car has more "Va Va Voom"! Picked up beautifully for some overtakes. I am happy with the system & time will tell if it does indeed get a tad quieter with time. Oh, and I haven't got any flat spots either, which surprised me given that I went for the sports cat. Actually I have never had any flat spots on this car before I changed the exhaust so I am well pleased. Also no emissions lights which surprised me a bit, but good! Off to RS Tuning in a fortnight for a remap so will be interested to see what bhp I have. @Micah I hope your exhaust gets quieter with time. Maybe give it a few weeks before dumping it. I'll try to download an app & get some db figures if I remember. Head like a sieve me!

Great to hear Johnny. (No pun.......maybe just a little bit....intended).

Maybe as part of the older generation on this site: its just us ? ; but i also find a resonated system 'enough'.

Glad your really happy with the system buddy. Will certainly be interesting after you've had it mapped.

Will the improvements with the new diff only become obvious after a track-day - or should it show on road too ?

Great to hear Johnny. (No pun.......maybe just a little bit....intended).

Maybe as part of the older generation on this site: its just us ? ; but i also find a resonated system 'enough'.

Glad your really happy with the system buddy. Will certainly be interesting after you've had it mapped.

Will the improvements with the new diff only become obvious after a track-day - or should it show on road too ?

@sevenfourate, diff should make for more fun on twisty roads during "spirited" driving as well as on track. Back in my Alfa Romeo days Alfa introduced a very similar diff they called Q2 & many people retro-fitted them as it was very highly rated. I always intended to but never got around to it so I was determined to go down this route with my Clio, especially now I am tracking it.

Yeagh, resonated is definitely "enough"!

Reactions: sevenfourate
Good stuff guys.
I will still probably give Scorpion a ring but definitely a bit quieter since I refitted the diffuser. Have no idea what it could have been though unless I released some tension in the system when I was rocking it about.

Good to hear you're happy with the Cobra, Johnny. And also nice to see that someone has a different exhaust to us Scorpion lovers! I do agree with you and Shuv that resonated is definitely 'enough'! I think it's plenty loud and suits the car nicely, without being too OTT shouty. I've found it pops a heck of a lot more when it's still in 'kangaroo' mode...

Reactions: Johnny 99
System - Toyo Mani, Scorpion Resonated, Pre-cat removed.
Phone - Iphone6
Phone location
- Passenger seat
Idle (warm) - 76-77db
70mph
- 88-89dbdb
Acceleration from 70mph - N/A
Radio - Off
Fan - Off
Windows - Closed
Seats/Parcel Shelf - Fitted

I hadn't noticed you'd posted results @sevenfourate, thanks for doing that as yours is probably the closest to mine in setup.
I drove the car yesterday morning on the motorway for about 30 minutes and when I got to residential speeds it sounded great. A few hours later it was just noisy as hell doing the reverse route, the noise is SO changeable, I'm at a loss why it gives me pleasure and pain in equal measure.

Reactions: sevenfourate
I hadn't noticed you'd posted results @sevenfourate, thanks for doing that as yours is probably the closest to mine in setup.
I drove the car yesterday morning on the motorway for about 30 minutes and when I got to residential speeds it sounded great. A few hours later it was just noisy as hell doing the reverse route, the noise is SO changeable, I'm at a loss why it gives me pleasure and pain in equal measure.

I feel like I'm in a similar boat Micah, but maybe for slightly different reasons. I love it round town, it's fantastic, I can't get enough of it. The other day though I went on the dual carriageway and was sat at 60-70 for about an hour - the noise/drone really doesn't bother me as I just turn the radio up, but I had a stinking headache when I got home. It was exactly the same when I came back from the Xmas meet on the A1.

I don't think that they're at all well suited to long trips on the motorway/DCs...

I have said numerous times - unless you love ASBO type noise levels - that even a resonated Scorpion will be more than enough for most people.

Showing the weight-saving / light-weight materials / lack of sound-proofing etc on he Clio; its also the only car i've ever owned where with a performance exhaust - its actually noisier inside than the exhaust sounds outside !