Clio's on Track.... what do you wear?!

fmp

Platinum Member
So noticed in a few threads that certain members enjoy tracking thier cars, but there seems to be some differing opinions on what is essential track day gear.

What do you wear when on track, what do you point and laugh at that others wear, whats your opinion on things?

I personally wear gloves and driving shoes/boots, plus the obligitory helmet.

The reason I wear gloves.... for a consistant grip on the steering wheel. I will admit that when I first had the car I couldnt use them with the standard leather wheel as it was too slippery and my grip had to be vice like. But since a alcantara retrim my gloves grip perfectly.

The reason I wear boots... as it gives me better feel on the pedals for starters. Plus being narrower than normal shoes (generally) it allows more room for precise heel and toe. Plus the heels have a more rounded edge to aid with grip and leverage.

Helmet wise, I just purchased a new Bell, as my old helmet was pretty long in the tooth and was starting to hurt the top of my head with prolonged use. I purchased the best I could afford. So I have a lightweight and very comfortable helmet for my bonce to sit in all day.

I also have a full Alpinestars race suit (from many moons ago when I did Time Atcrap), but I dont wear this due to it being looked down upon by general track day goers. I know this shouldnt stop me, but for some reason it does.

Which is odd, as they are much superior to drive in than jeans and a jumper. They dont chafe or ride up. Not to mention the superior safety properties. Yet I still choose to leave it at home.

So why is it we/some of us mock those who do turn up in a race suit?

When we go cycling we wear appropriate riding gear, when we ride motorbikes we dress in full leather, when we go swimming we dust off our speedo's....... yet when it comes to the best outfit for the job at track days.... we point and laugh.

So share what you wear, why you wear it, what stops you going the bit extra and getting boots or gloves or a suit.

PS: wasnt too sure on best location of this thread so please feel free to move it.

Personally the only people who give a ''smile'' on my face are the ones who wear gloves while driving on public roads. Joke, full stop.

On track though it's a different thing. I respect every single individual no matter what they wear. Either that is gloves/boots/racing suit the lot. This is entirely personal preference and how they feel happy with. Race suits in particular are more comfortable than normal clothes and from health and safety aspect surely superior to jeans and jumper. The safer the better I suppose...

I don't have a race suit clearly because I don't do many track days so I can't justify the purchase. However I do wear race boots (awesome gear IMO) and (sometimes) gloves. I generally don't get sweaty hands even under hard driving conditions but I always carry them with me just in case (warm days etc).

Only 'extra' items I wear is a helmet and gloves. The helmet is an open face jobby, I find it gives better vision over the full face ones. Gloves are a must, sooo much more grip. I wear some slim trainer pump type things, and just jeans and a long sleeve t shirt.
I don't mock those in race suits. They either fall into 2 types, those who can properly pedal a car round the track, or wannabe racers. Either way I give them plenty of room :smiley:

Wear what you feel comfortable in, both physically and mentally, and **** everyone else.

You find the same in the shooting world.

I wear what I fall out of bed onto.

No gear & no idea.

Doesn't stop me having a blast. I should point out I have a helmet but that more down to wanting to know its history rather than a sweaty one someone once dropped and said bugger all about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Always wear a helmet even though it's not obligatory on most tracks i go to as i generally feel safer haha, i'm sure my OMP star helmet wouldn't provide that much protection in a full on crash... In terms of gloves, i don't go on track without them, they provide me a lot more grip and allow me to spin the wheel much faster which has already saved me once :smile: I want to buy some flat sole race boots soon as most of my day to day foot wear has thicker soles which provide less feel of the pedals.

I usually just take my full face helmet, also I wear my hi tops to drive in as I've always have done. Basically what I feel comfortable in.
I should try some racing shoes tbh

I have a nice Arai helmet. It was expensive but at the time I was keen to own a motorbike so could have used it if/when I bought one. However that idea has gone outta the window now so yeah:

IMG_0093-1.jpg

Footwear? I always wear Puma trainers as I find them comfy and I hate phat shoes. Turns out the are ideal for track driving as they are nice and skiny. Not the grippiest of souls though. I do like the idea of some "racing boots".

Clothes? First time I did Knockhill I did it in shorts and T-shirt. Now with my sensible head on, I tend to wear tracky (Chavvy yes) bottoms as they are comfy and dont make me get hot like jeans or normal trousers.

Gloves? Imo they are fine for track specials/convertibles but not nearly standard road cars. But I do see the argument for them.

I assume MSV are quite strict with the long sleeved top rules? Reason I ask is, short of hoodies or zippers, I have no long sleeved tops lol.

• Old Arai motorbike helmet.
  • Jeans.
  • Some CAT trainer with thin souls, that I wear everyday anyway.
  • tshirt of some kind, ideally long sleeved.

Sure if I was in something open topped and a little more nuts I might think about a boiler suit and gloves etc. but it's a road car with a hell of a lot of crash testing/protection.

I wear all my racing gear apart from the suit. I think you'd look like you were trying too hard. It's the same with indoor karting.

I use gloves for better grip like everyone says, boots for feel and ankle support and obviously my trusty Bell.

I think I'd be too hot in my suit! Plus I couldn't be bothered to take all my clothes off to change into it!!

I guess it's all about rocking up and having fun - if you start to take it too seriously that's when people try too hard and hurt themselves.

You say about cyclists putting Lycra on - I certainly judge them for that!! But then again I judge them for wasting their own time and not getting in a car!!!

Its a very good point about the Race suit. You do do have some kind of expectation that the driver better be good. But in reality it is all about saftey. Should the worst happen and you catch fire its the one thing that'll save your life.

You wouldn't laugh at someone in a set of race rep leathers on a motorbike...

Personally I wear a long sleeve top, some thin soled trainers and helmet.. Oooo and I have been known to step out in a fancy dress race suit which gives me 2 seconds a lap.

Helmet - well it's a must lol

Gloves - Must IMO, after a few laps on track your hands start to sweat and you start to loose grip on the steering wheel

Racing boots - I wear them as find them very comfy to drive in 2bh and seem to grip the pedal better over trainers. They aren't a must , just depends if want buy a pair.

Clothing - Long sleeved top but always try and wear some light clothing so don't get too hot. Usually a breathable sports top.

On my trackday I just wore what was comfortable... So jeans t shirt and a hoody is what I wore! I wore some flat soles trainers and went and had a blast! And a helmet lol

There were guys there in full sparco race suits shoes gloves the lot.... Only guys on the day who did! Looked silly as it's not a race event, just a fun day out!

There were guys there in full sparco race suits shoes gloves the lot.... Only guys on the day who did! Looked silly as it's not a race event, just a fun day out!

interesting thought.... so why do we all think that a race suit is only for racing? when it serves a purpose of safety?

Or are we under the impression that due to it being a track day, there will be no big accidents that might call upon Nomex and its fire retardant powers?

Again, motorbikers wear full leathers on the road and thats no race event. Or is it a different case for them, as leathers is the only form of real protection on a bike.

oh and hopefully no ones thinks i am trying to preach or anything, its a long standing wonder as to why some do and some dont with regards to track day wear.

interesting thought.... so why do we all think that a race suit is only for racing? when it serves a purpose of safety?

Or are we under the impression that due to it being a track day, there will be no big accidents that might call upon Nomex and its fire retardant powers?

Again, motorbikers wear full leathers on the road and thats no race event. Or is it a different case for them, as leathers is the only form of real protection on a bike.

oh and hopefully no ones thinks i am trying to preach or anything, its a long standing wonder as to why some do and some dont with regards to track day wear.

I totally agree with you, it is funny misconception that people (including myself) have about people wearing a race suit at a trackday. Afterall as you point out its not for fashion its for safety.

There may come a time when we have to wear racesuits on Trackdays, would people moan then?

I totally agree with you, it is funny misconception that people (including myself) have about people wearing a race suit at a trackday. Afterall as you point out its not for fashion its for safety.

There may come a time when we have to wear racesuits on Trackdays, would people moan then?

I did hear a rumour that they where thinking of making you wear race suits for track days soon. Its bound to happen with Health and Safety these days

Yeah i must say i've thought, oh look at Mr Stig when i've seen people in race suits and its never even though about safety.

so all you safety conscious people out there, you look a right cock but the day you catch fire i'll know not to save you :-p

(joke before someone takes offence)

A sleeved top, whatever I can find. A decent Bell helmet (not a bike one, a proper helmet for a closed cabin). That's it, I go to have fun. I do think fireproof gloves and no race suit is quite funny, only really needed if you have a suede wheel IMO.

If I had the money and I was even half way decent at peddling my car around or did a lot of track days (maybe 6+ per year) I'd seat a suit. Not really bothered what people think, I've seen cars catch fire on track days before and I'm sure I will again.

At the moment though I don't have the funds for track time let alone the kit to go along with it.

I probably will pick up some gloves before How Fast this year though, I was sweating my nackers off last year and my palms were starting to get slippy.