Just a thought on RS Clio's spec levels......

sevenfourate

Devotee of OCD
Paid Member
I don't regularly drive / travel in that many different cars. But this week my wife picked up her replacement after her old car was written off.

Its a 13 plate Fiat Punto. Whatever we looked at we couldnt find anything as new of that size; with as good of a spec and with less miles / owners for sub £5k [This is 1 lady owner + 30k]. Value will drop like a stone compared to other marques no doubt - but as she'll keep until it dies it matters none.

I think its THE most basic model they do.......a Punto Evolution "Easy" and as standard it has:

Sat-Nav
Reverse parking Sensors
All electric
Air-Con
Cruise control
Lovely sports seats
Iphone / Aux connection - voice-controlled if you want
Start-Stop technology
Heated front screen
Cpmprehensive fuel / trip computer
etc etc

Shall i go on ?

I realise Clio's (Especially Cup's) arent meant for comfort, but i didn't realise how sparse they really are. This must one of the cheapest cars on the road and it puts mine to shame for 'toys'.......

The mk3s certainly were very sparsely specc'd - my friends have said how very basic they are inside...

I guess with the Punto, modern cars have to have a good minimum spec because a lot of buyers probably demand things like the above as standard. We live in an age where we can get sat navs for free on our smart phones, we want simple connectivity for these smartphones (listening to music, making calls), and we are obsessed with the economy of our vehicles.

As for the driver aids - we also live in a world where people can't park for toffee without the beeps telling them when to stop and alarms to tell us we don't have our seatbelts on...

Reactions: sevenfourate
Yes, but don't forget that 13 plate punto is probably a new generation, such as a 2013 RS MK4 clio (like mine)... Where as a late 2012 MK3 RS is based off a 2006 car, so will be kitted out like that.

Compare a MK4,

Built in sat nav standard
Climate in lux (AC standard)
Parking sensors as option & camera
All electric sensors etc (wipers lights)
The media centre is very good, voice control, phone connection
The newer ones have start stop

If you compare a 2006 shape punto its probably on a similar par to the 197s!

I wouldn't say they're not well equipped at all. My 197 has the following:

Panoramic sunroof
AC
Heated and folding mirrors
Xenons
Cabasse 6 cd changer

The seats are pretty sport already to say the least. A £40 headunit from halfords helped with the iPhone connection. Heated front windscreens replacements for the Clio can be picked up brand new for a very fair price if needed.

The later 200s came with a satnav and parking sensors (if specced). Looking at the Corsa VXR, and other competitors of the 197/200, they aren't exactly much better in terms of options either tbh. I remember reading articles by the press which said that the standard 197s were generously specced as standard.

Last edited:
I'm surprised I've got electric windows in the cup ! It's bare bollocks but I wouldn't have it any other way! There's just something about it being stripped back, Definded almost if you will!

It's almost like us people who target the 197/200 want a raw car. I only had the radio on today as the gf was with me, otherwise it's induction noise all the way and the joy of driving the beast.
I do sometimes think about an easy life with a mass volume car and can see the appeal, but I'll happily stick with the 200 for a good while

You buy your car to do what you want it to do. If you want a drivers car then you buy a car focused on that. If you want every luxury for long journeys or family days out then you buy just that. Unfortunately the luxury cars that are driver focused are normally £40k plus.

I must say my Meg and 200/220T are the best all round re track and luxury that I've had in my 11RS's its makes my Spa trips much more comfortable

Comparing the spec on my 182 to a normal 200t the 200 looks poorly specced. 182 had xenons, part leather and part alcantara seats, climate control, auto lights and wipers, Cruise, you could even put a cd in it! Lol!

One thing that does really bug me about the MK4, is no xenons... I mean what are they playing at there, even 172s had xenons, how can it not even be an option, it should be bloody standard!!!

Same with even the Mk3s, its a very uncommon option to have the xenons.

The lack of xenons is surprising being that they were standard on the 172 and 182, then an option on the 197, before finally being forgotten about completely on the 200 and 200t. It's an option I think would have become more popular, rather than less so. The new 200t face-lift comes with led lights, which will be interesting to see.