Clio 172

Having owned 2 197 (ff + cup) then a mk2 Leon Cupra and now my current car a mondeo st tdci, which I only bought as it was dirt cheap! I've been looking at 197s again... But driving home last night I passed a parked 172cup totally standard with the turinis on. I got the phone number from the window and text it for some more details. It's got 74k miles on the clock, fsh, had the Cambelt done a year or so ago and it's hpi clear! She wants £1500 which is why my ears have pricked up. Is it worth a shout? Will I be underwhelmed?

Gaz

I've got for sale my black 172 track car for sale , taxed and tested black 45k fsh, fully stripped. Brand new cup shocks, eibach pro springs. Brand new omp dished steering wheel. Renault turbine wheels with 4 new yoko pradas on. Carbon door bullets. All tar removed and cleaned up. Very genuine car with history to back it up, has the odd scuff here and there none the less a genuine motor. Needs a drivers seat as I roved my buckets £1000 takes it, I'm half an hour from pocklington. You won't be underwhelmed I think there great and wouldn't be getting rid but I need the space

Only thing that I disliked about the 172 cup was the interior. Instead of the huggy full fat seats, you get some 1.2 seats which arn't much cop.

The value of 172/182s have really dropped in the last year or so. I'd look at pistonheads and see what else you could get for £1500. You may be suprised, just over 2k would get you a 182.

I bought a minter ph1 172 earlie this year for a daily when my little mk1 clio packed up. It wasnt as silly a choice as people think, I have air con, leather interior, all the toys, cd changer etc and it happily averages 42mpg on the commute.

Anyway the point I'm getting at is I didn't expect to really get on with a 12 year old Clio but it's stolen my heart. There's no risk of being underwhelmed. It's drives smoothly, the 172 lump in standard dress is really torquey and usable down low and this light little car really goes some, I reckon I'd piss over a standard 197 sorry to say.

Just got to be careful with the twitchy and unsure handling, it grips but it doesn't feel planted and confidence inspiring next to the mighty 197.

I say go for it, just keep in mind 172 cups have a massive insurance premium over normal 172s due to lack of abs.

Well I've just picked the 172 up! It's such a good car, I can't stop smiling! It's completely different to the 197 to drive. I managed to get it for the bargin price of £1360! There's absolutly no rattles what so ever, I'm over the moon with it

Crossy, me and my mate are going to come to sherben to see your clio if that's ok? He's wanting one for the odd trackday

Glad you got a good one Gaz, I was like your self very suprised and to be honest there mega value. You've got my number Gaz, giz a shout anytime pal. Joe