Check your brake discs!

Just changed the rear discs on the 197, the car was showing all the usual tell tale signs of a problem, squeeking under braking and the handbrake sticking on.

Put the car in for its service and they came back as an advisory that the rear discs were breaking up, the service centre were willing to change the discs and ot the old pads back on, as they had a fair bit of meat on them, something I decided against when I changed them lucky

Be aware these came off a 57 plate with only 30,000 miles on, and are in a terrible state, i have never seen any this bad before.

IMAG0569.jpg

IMAG0568.jpg

IMAG0570.jpg

To be fair I was shocked!!

the fronts go the same way on the inside.....

oh and never put old pads back on when the discs are like that!!!!

Wow. I thought mine were bad

I too was shocked at the state of mine when it was up on the ramps and i saw the insides.
All 4 discs / pads looked shocking (unlike the exterior side which was lovely and shiny!)

To be fair I always change the pads with the discs.

This one looked fine from the outside, but did get a shock when I got it off, the pad was badly ridged, and in no way suitable to go back on. The renault service centre surely would have known this just by looking at the corrosion on the disc, it suprises me that they were willing to put the pads back on.

Is that a funny camera angle or does it really taper off towards the outer edge?

Never seen disc wear like that, is the caliper sticking, or the pad sticking in the bottom of the caliper?

Do you have a pic of the pads?

Im sure if i remember that it does not taper off on the outer edge, although it does appear that way.

Not sure if i still have the pads, think I threw them out and the bins were collected today. will double check tonight

Is that a funny camera angle or does it really taper off towards the outer edge?

Never seen disc wear like that, is the caliper sticking, or the pad sticking in the bottom of the caliper?

Do you have a pic of the pads?

It is a strange camera angle, and it does not taper off at the edge, there is the usual ridge on the far outer edge as i thought, sure i would have notice it if it did taper off at the edge as like you said that would be a very strange wear patern

mine wore exactly the same mate @31.000 miles

At least its not just mine then. probably does not help that the pads tend to stick on the rear in the cold and wet, cant be doing the discs any good when they crack off. Mine got properly stuck over the winter and the misses drove it with the wheel locked for about 100yrds and flat spotted one of the tyres :thumbdown:

At least its not just mine then. probably does not help that the pads tend to stick on the rear in the cold and wet, cant be doing the discs any good when they crack off. Mine got properly stuck over the winter and the misses drove it with the wheel locked for about 100yrds and flat spotted one of the tyres :thumbdown:

strange that mine have not stuck while I've owned it could have been a fault that was rectified with previous owner but never changed the disc's.

Checked mine yesterday and still look in pretty good condition after 44k miles. Not that much life left in the pads so the the discs are showing to be much more durable!