Check your pads if your brakes don't feel 100%

Just got myself another 200 4 years old but only 20000 miles Renault main dealer serviced. I was concerned the brakes were not brilliant when I test drove the car and I asked for them to be checked..

Well they didn't so I have had pretty poor brakes all week. The other night I did a fluid change, syringed the old stuff out the reservoir, then fill up and bled through, thanks to the misses on the pedal, still no real improvement.

Discs are good with hardly any wear and the pads have plenty of meat on, so I got a set of pins from Eurocarparts, just in case, and tonight I stripped,the calipers.

The problem was the pads were seized in, they took some knocking out, I had to take the caliper off, to drift them out. Pad edges were all corroded, so angle grindered the rust off, and repainted the pad edges. Gave the area where the pad fits a good clean and addressed a couple of alloy corrosion points.

Pads are now a rattling good fit. Dressed the edges of the pads with some copper slip and refitted everything.

Voila I now have proper brakes.

I may now have to visit the rear calipers, they have new pads in so I hope they have been cleaned properly.

So the moral of this story is, just because a car is serviced every year they obviously don't strip the pads out.

If you have poor brakes, this is most likely the problem.

Sorry no pictures, too old to work and take photos

Just had mine down at RS in Leeds

Amazing what you see on a ramp i knew mine needed looking at nearly soiled my pants when i saw my front discs needless to say they are being replaced and new pads as well this week - (More expense) £800 in two weeks just before a Holiday i could have done without but money well spent keeping the car going and a massive thanks to the guys at RS Tuning great work so far, will deffo be going for more work.