Check ESP / Check ABS

Went out to the car this morning.

Left the car to warm up for a bit. Went to pull away and the check esp / abs warning lights came up on the dash.

The car will not move at all. Turned the car off and on, still the fault came up and no movement...

I presume this could be down to the cold? Although saying that never had a problem with any other car. Even when we had that snow in 2010 and i had a 53 plate 1.2 polo :001_rolleyes:

As the car is still under warranty. Should I call the dealer / RUK? Or call the AA / RAC

Hi Mate,

I have an albi 197 with 38.5k on the clock. I have had the same warnings come up on my dash, and funnily enough it's been when i've got onto the same slip road off a dual carriage way when waiting at traffic lights going onto roundabout.

Unlike your problem where you car won't move, my car is still driveable and fine to drive. When I start car up again they go off and don't come on again until whenever really. This has only happened to me today and a once a few months back.

It is because your handbrake has frozen on, been happening to mine. Just get some warm (not boiling) water and pour over caliper and disc. It should take about 2 kettle loads and it'll be free. But then when driving just be careful with the brakes because the pads will be soaked.
As somebody said before just leave in gear. I tried just leaving with the handbrake on 1 notch but it still froze and definitely didnt free up from abit of driving, it just got boiling hot and stank - water was still needed to free it off.

Hi Mate,

I have an albi 197 with 38.5k on the clock. I have had the same warnings come up on my dash, and funnily enough it's been when i've got onto the same slip road off a dual carriage way when waiting at traffic lights going onto roundabout.

Unlike your problem where you car won't move, my car is still driveable and fine to drive. When I start car up again they go off and don't come on again until whenever really. This has only happened to me today and a once a few months back.

I've had this on my 56 plate 197, it wasn't related to the cold on mine as it happened everytime I drove it (warm weather included) and as you say once the lights come on I'd switch it off and back on again and the lights would go. With regard to mine it became more and more frequent until it got to the point that it did it on every journey. Think it was an ABS sensor fault somewhere.

I have this everytime the car comes off the dyno lol.

Car does sometimes come up check injection/ check.esp and.goes into limp mode :worried:

I've had this on my 56 plate 197, it wasn't related to the cold on mine as it happened everytime I drove it (warm weather included) and as you say once the lights come on I'd switch it off and back on again and the lights would go. With regard to mine it became more and more frequent until it got to the point that it did it on every journey. Think it was an ABS sensor fault somewhere.

Hi R1chard

Mines an 06 197. Glad someone else has experienced the same fault as what I've experienced a couple of times.

Fingers crossed the lights on the dash won't come on a frequent basis but if they do I'll keep the ABS sensor fault in mind.

Cheers for your feedback bud

Chris