:-) Changed my bottom Ball Joints

So had the dreaded creaking when turning and once on the ramp had shed loads of play in the O/S/F lower ball joint, phoned Steve ar R-Sport Wimbledon and got a pair of the cup joints ordered.

Quite a tricky job but didn't require any special tools or abilitys, the only tricky part is the pinch bolt for the lower ballpoint to the inner hub is an M8 cap head with a 5mm Allen key, this on a 80,000 mile car which had never been undone before requires drilling out.
I used a press to press out and in the new one but realistically with a vice and appropriate sized drift and a large socket they can be very easily done without a press.

bought back the responsiveness and more importantly got rid of the play and noises :smile:

all in in all around a 4 hour job both sides and did alignment aswell.
tools used were:
18mm socket
16mm socket
torx 40 socket
12mm Allen key socket (callers)
32mm socket (driveshaft centre but)
18mm spanner
appropriate ratchet
large lever bar
wheel 19mm socket
torque wrench
press/vice with drifts and socket that fit outer edge of balljoint
drill and various bits

FC4A962F-C0A1-43BC-9191-932C7B295EF8_zpsiicbxdlh.jpg

08E0C095-04A3-484B-B6DE-C7F3903F079C_zpsoqcotrfw.jpg

Last edited:
[MENTION=41063]Pav[/MENTION] it feels abit tighter tbh, I've got a cup with H&R springs and power flex black bushes, extra camber and caster on the front and rear axle bushes so it's always been good but just recently it wandered abit, steering didn't always return to centre nice and obviously had a hideous almost creaking when you turned the wheel, all of which has now been rectified

thanks..glad it sort ur problem out..i think these should be replaced after some time anyway..just got a new replacement recently so will be swapping them over...

My steering wanders slightly sometimes, but I don't have any creaking or knocking. Going to a mechanic Saturday, and will ask them to check the ball joints for play, just for peace of mind.

Great job sorted. Amazed me when up on ramp, to see how much the ball joints flop about when there knackered.

Out of interest how much did RSport charge for the pair?

I've seen them on eBay but would rather buy from RSport.

Cheers

Yep [MENTION=3243]18shaz[/MENTION], really annoying noise isn't it, mine also once up in the air had about an inch of play in the wheel side to side

[MENTION=51903]Big4244[/MENTION] How much did you pay for the ball joints and where from? Need to order them this week and get them changed

[MENTION=51903]Big4244[/MENTION] What did you use to repair/replace the pinch bolt that you drilled out? I am just doing mine and it's the same as yours the bolt is shot for sure will need to drill it. Can you get a replacement bolt at Renault?

Last edited:
Is it necessary to do both ball joints in one go?
and would a weak ball joint make the car pull left more than the usual Renaultism?

Last edited:
Is it necessary to do both ball joints in one go?
and would a weak ball joint make the car pull left more than the usual Renaultism?
do them both mate...like with everything that comes in pairs...stay on the safe side...u could end up paying twice...

I am just doing the one that has play the other seems solid and can always be replaced later if it goes. As said above the only issue I have now is where to source a replacement bolt for the one that needs tobe drilled out! If anyone has any ideas please do let me know!

do them both mate...like with everything that comes in pairs...stay on the safe side...u could end up paying twice...
Do what ! Fair enough if a spring snaps, change both sides, as one would assume mileage on both were the same. As for ball joints, you wouldn't know when any were replaced in the past. If one is knackered, replace, if other side is fine, then don't. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Reactions: Dumdum