Cam timing correction!? (WOODY MAY HELP)

u gunna put some in ure van?

No I'm not I'm afraid, it's a lease hire van so it won't be messed with and I couldn't be arsed wasting my time tuning something so pointless.

After getting shut of my 137.12 hp @ wheels vts with a power to weight ration of 194.6 hp per tonne and my mk4 gt tdi highline with 305lbs ft oof torque daily drive I am on the look out for a new track toy.

A 197 should be a very good base.

I spoke to Matt @ TDF before I got the cams, he told me the 428's wouldn't give a huge amount of top end but would make the whole rev range better. The car is easier to drive now than it was before, tick over is a little lumpy though lol

He did lift the limiter from 7100 to 7600 as the engines peak was pretty near the limiter to start with. Interestingly enough the peak power was at the same point as it was before the cams. Matt did say though that the limiting point now was the inlet manifold, to get any noticeable gains now I'd have to go to iTB's

Don't fit throttle bodies!!!!!

Iirc the trumpets on the 182 sit right above the radiator and give shockingly poor volumetric efficiency.

The pug 206 GTIs 180s had the exact same problem. ( why they were called 180s when they only had 166hp was beyond me tbh)

With the bonnet up you will se amazing gains, but unfortunately in the real world we drive with out bonnets down, thus causing possibly the worst volumetric efficiency you could achieve in an engine bay with an engine running.

Chipwizards actually removed more itbs than he fitted because of this very problem.

The problem is the induction length....if you fit a short rad like we make/supply, you can get a more ideal intake length, and mush better peak figures.

With a std radiator and slam panel its very limited.

The problem is the induction length....if you fit a short rad like we make/supply, you can get a more ideal intake length, and mush better peak figures.

With a std radiator and slam panel its very limited.

The only way to overcome this is to extend the trumpets through the slam panel, which is a little daft and I can see causing issues.

I no when kevvo fitted his cams he was told thetiming was out and in woddys signature it says "cam timing correction".....

Is it often out?

Oliver James bean from mirfield by any chance?

Do you drive a red 197 with speedlines?

yes exactly, and its not daft if it allows an ideal intake length with comfortable packaging.

The problem is 75% of users dont take into account such constraints, they bolt ITBS on and see no/little gains.....it IS always intake length. Thats not to say with correct input they cant make proper figures.

Not currently, but we have designs at the foundry/casting company we use, and im sure we will get round to testing some prototypes soon enough.

oic, can't wait.

what does it take to adjust the cam timings? is it related to the venier pulleys?

Depends what you are trying to achieve really. The set-up on these is a floating pulley, so technically you dont need vernier pulleys, so really you could tweek the timing using power runs since you dont really have a lift@tdc figure to work from for stock cams. That sais, whether you will see a gain is questionable, ive not tried on std cams so cant say. Youd likely pick up somewhere along the lines.
Best bet is just make sure its timed correctlyas according to renault locking tools etc.

With these engines, they have infinately adjustable cam phasing on the inlet cams....this feature is fantastic for optimising through the rev range, so IMO to fit a pair of verniers and ditching this facility is sacrilage! So even with aftermarket cams, best bet is timing to manufacturers lift at tdc initially, then tweaking on the dyno.

Its never simple and its never quick, but for best results its the only way. From experience as a Catcams dealer, their lift@tdc figures are pretty good, but depending on the application we often deviate from them.