CAE-Shifter for Clio 3 RS

Ok thanks pal. So what's your take on the observations above that it kills synchros etc? I don't buy it!!

With a quick shift the internals have to do the same job in a smaller amount of time, that means more strain and they aren't durable to begin with.

Think of it like braking, stopping from 60mph as fast as possible will wear the discs pads faster than taking twice that distance would.

Exactly, they have a hard enough enough time displacing the oil through the channels as it is, rushing them is just a recipe for crunchy time. Personally I think a quick shift is one of the ****tiest mods out there for any car. I'm not saying that a linkage setup or what not can't be improved, to bolster tactility and robustness etc. But to shorten the the throw and increase stresses inside a box on a road car are bonkers.

As our change is cable, perhaps the CAE can be setup to keep OE levels of movement and stress? But then you're paying a heck of a lot of money for something that just looks nice as the shift on our cars is decent (when the box works!), so these are purely cosmetic. Though Lewis you always were a Magpie! :lol:

I do understand what you're saying but (a) you have no idea how much of a reduction in throw is achieved therefore cannot make assumptions about the additional levels of stress placed on the internals (if any) and (b) the reduction in throw is mainly achieved via a different pivot point in the mechanism and the actual strain placed on the internals will be negligible. Either way none of you actually know the product well enough to make broad generalisations. I fully understand the principles I've been doing this a long time, and I hear what you guys are saying but it's not entirely true or based on any solid factual evidence. And yes I like cool stuff for my car lol, I see no problem with that, doesn't everyone? [emoji16]

Also it depends on how you drive whether you are rough with it or treat it with a degree of mechanical sympathy and change smoothly. All these things effect the overall performance and longevity of the box itself. Anyway my box was already done under warranty so it's pretty much new[emoji108]

Either way none of you actually know the product well enough to make broad generalisations.

True we don't know the product specifically, but we know TL4 gearboxes well enough.

Also it depends on how you drive whether you are rough with it or treat it with a degree of mechanical sympathy and change smoothly.

Spends £800 to reduce throw, spends the next entire lifetime of the car nursing the shifts. Priceless (or something like that!)

Anyway my box was already done under warranty so it's pretty much new[emoji108]

Which means **** because these boxes are crap and we've all been on here long enough and seen sub 10k boxes from new with failed synchros. I don't know at what point the later steel baulk rings were added, you don't know whats in your box.

As a forum we've done our due diligence in making you aware, just please be aware if you buy it and you box goes. I WILL take the piss, often. :wink:

peace out.

Fair enough. I am genuinely surprised how negative the attitude is towards these, really I am! Despite this, I would still be interested to hear from somebody who actually has one so I make a judgement based on factual evidence rather than hot air and opinions. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your opinion, but it is just that![emoji6]

Colin's satchshift received similar criticism in some circles, and i'm sure you'll agree he has a sound level of mechanical knowledge and would not develop a product designed to turn gearboxes to butter.

Obviously OEM is ultimately best to minimise wear and tear, but where is the fun in that?

Last edited:
Fair enough. I am genuinely surprised how negative the attitude is towards these, really I am!

maybe because the Clio has a nice shift action as standard and this device costs £800.......! I am genuinely surprised people are considering it tbh! If you had nothing else left to spend on the car then knock youself out, but I could find many better ways of spending that £800 that would actually benefit the car!

Not unitil I'm reviing to 8.5k, rocking at least 240bhp, have some trick remote res dampers etc etc etc, would I give these a 2nd glance.

[MENTION=51511]Lewis[/MENTION] : well, the synchros are going to go anyway ... better let them go in style. go for it, i'd say.

i know someone whose running one in a megane RS. beautiful piece of kit and a joy to use. no issues so far (six months), though those megane boxes are a fair bit stronger than our clios'.

[MENTION=51511]Lewis[/MENTION] : well, the synchros are going to go anyway ... better let them go in style. go for it, i'd say.

i know someone whose running one in a megane RS. beautiful piece of kit and a joy to use. no issues so far (six months), though those megane boxes are a fair bit stronger than our clios'.

Yes, as much as I do hear what the guys are saying, I think the effects are exaggerated above. Also so long as you don't drive it like a **** it should be fine. I'll see. Gotta spend money on my Rallye this month but I would love one. I don't feel you need to modify the Clio cup as its so good out of the box, but something like this would enhance the driving experience and make it even more rewarding. I already love the car though it's brilliant.

Yes, as much as I do hear what the guys are saying, I think the effects are exaggerated above. Also so long as you don't drive it like a **** it should be fine. I'll see. Gotta spend money on my Rallye this month but I would love one. I don't feel you need to modify the Clio cup as its so good out of the box, but something like this would enhance the driving experience and make it even more rewarding. I already love the car though it's brilliant.

exactly. i'd love one myself, but it's financially out of reach at the moment.

these things are very popular in germany. mostly on porsches and bmw's. this guy makes good use of it in his clio ... https://www.youtube.com/user/nordschleifchen/videos

Last edited:
exactly. i'd love one myself, but it's financially out of reach at the moment.

these things are very popular in germany. mostly on porsches and bmw's. this guy makes good use of it in his clio ... https://www.youtube.com/user/nordschleifchen/videos
Yes I saw that video. Does look like a good piece of kit. Saying that the gear change in the Clio is bloody good really. Actually I sat in a new type r recently and they harp on about the slick gear change but it somehow doesn't feel as solid and notchy as the Clio one and I prefer the Clio one! It feels more solid and reliable which I know is completely misguided lol as we all know the civic gearbox and mech will ultimately last longer. But still. The point being it feels satisfying to use.

Ps your video link doesn't work dude.

Last edited:
I ordered one of these for my daily driver RS200 this week, it's due to arrive on Monday :thumbup1:

Once it's installed I'll post some pics and let you all know how it goes...

I ordered one of these for my daily driver RS200 this week, it's due to arrive on Monday :thumbup1:

Once it's installed I'll post some pics and let you all know how it goes...

[MENTION=53583]Yellow Clio[/MENTION] ... i'd be very interested in how the centre console fits around the shifter, so lots of pics would be cool. thanks.

Last edited:
Make that me too, surely if this piece of kit was going to upset the gearbox they'd stop making them? There really is no measure on how much extra it needs to work?
I reworked a linkage/change modification on an italian car and found it actually was an upgrade once its settled, it shouldnt have to harm any other components IMO.

It's in and I'm very happy with it The gear lever being higher up and with a much shorter throw does give a real BTCC feel, even when I just pop down to the shops . The action of the shifter is also very nice and mechanical feeling, much more so that the original shifter.

I've also just fitted a gator, with a few minor mods. I've taken pics of with and without gator so you can see fitment.

attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 240
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 238
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 247
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 244
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 245
Reactions: papa
[MENTION=53583]Yellow Clio[/MENTION] ... looks brilliant!

any chance of uploading bigger photos? from what i can see only a small part of the center console needs to be cut away, to get the shifter to fit.

Pretty cool, similar to the Satschift they do for the 106 and 306, I had one in my old track Rallye.

Shifts are super quick and really precise!
So close to the steering wheel was great :smile:

Can see shifting in my rubbish video.

20130617_151640.jpg

[video=youtube;dF_GRppzfQ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dF_GRppzfQ0[/video]

@Yellow Clio ... looks brilliant!

any chance of uploading bigger photos? from what i can see only a small part of the center console needs to be cut away, to get the shifter to fit.

Thanks, as I said I'm very happy with it. It's not a cheap mod but hopefully will still be making me smile for years to come :smile:

The center console went back on in one piece, it had to be forced behind the shifter housing so has slightly misshaped. I had to cut the gator surround in a couple of places for clearance and also so that part of the shifter could stick out of the back of the gator. I bought a gator from eBay to hack up so that the original shifter could be put back into service if required in the future. I think I'd need to buy another center console, but these are available from breakers yards etc.

I'm not sure how to upload larger pics, if you pm me with your email I'll happily send through some more detailed pics.

[MENTION=53583]Yellow Clio[/MENTION] ... pm sent.

it's not a cheap mod, i agree. but like you said, would definitely put a smile on my face whenever i'd use it. just have to find out if this mod is okay for the belgian MOT ...