Buttons have gone stiff

I got into my car yesterday and the steering wheel radio controls and the trip computer stalk buttons on my car have suddenly become extremely stiff. the wheel that selects tracks and radio stations is so stiff now that i have to put some real effort into it to move and the same with the stalk controls for the trip.

has anyone else had this im wondering if its due to the weather. Also does anyone know how to fix this ? can i just spray some wd40 or degreaser?

any advice would be good. Thanks

Has your car been left without being driven for a few weeks?

Mine has gone the same after having the car off the road for a few months, the radio controls freed them self but the trip computer controls are very stiff.

I would not spray WD40 on to electrical components :blush:mg:, you could try spraying some contact cleaning and see if that helps.

My source buttons and wheel can be a little stiff sometimes and sometimes stick down . I usually just press it a bit harder and it sorts itself out but it can get quite annoying! Not sure what can do though really..

WD-40 should be fine on electrical components, it certainly shouldn't cause any damage (although might make a mess)

WD-40 should be fine on electrical components, it certainly shouldn't cause any damage (although might make a mess)

Rather you than me, would not spray that stuff any where near electrical stuff especially not inside the car anyway lol

Stuff stinks so bad and like you say will make a right mess :eek:

WD-40 is a water displacer (hence the WD part of the name) and for years has been used to remove water from engine electrics, dizzy caps etc.

It won't cause any damage to the electronics, but as said it may make a bit of a mess. Maybe if you take the cowling off it will be easier to direct it in the right place.