Broken Front Spring - Options

DanB720

Gold Member
I've just noticed that my front left spring is broken after investigating a knocking.

Im not in the position to purchase coil-overs right now so was wondering what are peoples thoughts on aftermarket springs like H&R etc.

Pics of how low it sits on such springs would be nice also.

Thanks

there are lots of threads about this..hr goes as low as 30-40mm i think..eibach 20-25mm..these two are quite popular but there are more choices out there like spax etc..

I've not long ago fitted Eibach springs on my 197, the ride is great, slightly firmer over a standard non cup 197 but it feels right. It's only dropped the car slightly but that was enough for me.

On a side note, if you go down the route of replacing the spring for OE, if you have a pre 2010 200 I have a full set of non cup springs that you can have for a good price - need them out the way!

I've not long ago fitted Eibach springs on my 197, the ride is great, slightly firmer over a standard non cup 197 but it feels right. It's only dropped the car slightly but that was enough for me.

On a side note, if you go down the route of replacing the spring for OE, if you have a pre 2010 200 I have a full set of non cup springs that you can have for a good price - need them out the way!

Mine are Cup springs (Blue and Orange Dots) sorry. I've decided to get 2 OEM Springs from Renault. Not ready for lows just yet.

I'm not one for lows / stance, but I had to replace the front springs on mine days before heading out to Spa. I went for H&R as the price was good and to be honest the small drop does make the car look better. Ride on the other hand is a bit crasher on rough roads.

I'm not one for lows / stance, but I had to replace the front springs on mine days before heading out to Spa. I went for H&R as the price was good and to be honest the small drop does make the car look better. Ride on the other hand is a bit crasher on rough roads.

'Lowering' might be next for me. The Eibachs sound just what I'm looking for to be fair.

BUT: Is the extra lowering / stiffness and crashier ride of the H+R's for instance likely to greatly accelerate wear on ball joints, hubs, track-rod ends, bushes etc on what appears to be a Clio weak area anyway......?

Mine are Cup springs (Blue and Orange Dots) sorry. I've decided to get 2 OEM Springs from Renault. Not ready for lows just yet.

Depending on the price you paid Renault for the OEM springs, Eibach's might've been a cheaper option and they're quite a subtle drop compared to the 35-40mm of H&R's....

I seem to remember reading on the forum before front springs from Renault were about £90 each, so £180 vs an identical price for all 4 Eibach springs.

H&Rs have a range of springs, some which are 30/30, 30/40 and 40/40

They don't get mentioned that often but I bought cooksport springs of a member on here and I think they are great springs. The car sits just right with them.

Hi, i have one front spring snapped. There is currently cup spring available from 197 cup. Is that incorrect for my car? I have full fat 197. New spring from renault would be quite expensive. I am looking second hand.

Hi, i have one front spring snapped. There is currently cup spring available from 197 cup. Is that incorrect for my car? I have full fat 197. New spring from renault would be quite expensive. I am looking second hand.

If you go cup springs you really want to match them to the cup dampers too.
They would fit, but could cause a poorer ride quality due to the mismatch.

If you go cup springs you really want to match them to the cup dampers too.
They would fit, but could cause a poorer ride quality due to the mismatch.
I just need one spring, no any plans to mod cup suspension..

Then in that case no, they are different spring rates to non-Cups.

But he said he has a full fat? Is that not the same as the cup for suspension?

I thought full fat meant you got the cup pack which makes it like a cup but with the added luxuries that a cup doesn't have?

Or am I getting confused

But he said he has a full fat? Is that not the same as the cup for suspension?

I thought full fat meant you got the cup pack which makes it like a cup but with the added luxuries that a cup doesn't have?

Or am I getting confused

No FF = all the standard options of keyless etc
Why you see people saying "FF Cup" as in all the bits of a FF but added cup pack (dampers and springs).

Cup pack was an optional extra on FF cars.
R27 was a FF with Cup bits and added Recaros.

Ohhhhh sorry my mistake so a FF non cup doesn't include the cup pack option?

I'm referring back to the 182 days when I had mine and the FF terminology I came across meant it was a 182 with both optional cup packs, one was an aero pack and the other was the lower/stiffer springs that the 182 cups had.

It's not official terminology anyway so maybe that's my confusion.