Brembo Brake Pin Problem.

Right I decided to strip and clean my brakes as they were starting to squeeke a little bit. So off i went in the normal manner got all the tools together that i would need(Jack, Axle Stand, Hammer, Punch, Wire Brush and some Copper Grease.

So i jacked up the driver side whipped of the wheels and set about removing the pads and started to knock out the pins that hold them in place the top one came out without a problem however the bottom one was a different story it was completely seized solin and rather than moving the pin it started to bend in the middle(i will stick the pics at the end of this). So i left the pin and did what i could with the caliper of the car then proceeded to visit my local dealer to get some pins only to be told that these come in packs of two pins plus the spring retainer so you need to buy two pack one for each caliper @ £25+ vat.

Given my situation I had to pay this so £50 for four pins i got back on with the job, I had to remove the caliper and cut the pin out and then clean up and re-fit everything.

So keep you brake clean so this doesnt happen to you, also made a bit of damage to the caliper aswell so they will be need a new coat of paint.

Here are pics of damage.
IMG_0094.gif
IMG_0097.gif
IMG_0096.gif

here is the pin out against a straight one
IMG_0098.gif

thats not good fella

but i have been on about this for ages - saying you should consider a brake strip every 12month to stop this !!!

one little tip - you should have hit the other side of the pin first - that is as if you are putting the pin back in - this usually helps loosen them

aluminium calipers and steel retaining pins - receipe for corrosion.......

thats nothing, I changed a front set of pads and discs on a 225 a few months ago and the pin ended coming out in 2 bits it was that stuck. It seems to be a common problem, as foxspeed says a regular strip and clean of the calipers is essential to stop it.

btw I believe the pins are around £13 each from Renault

thats nothing, I changed a front set of pads and discs on a 225 a few months ago and the pin ended coming out in 2 bits it was that stuck. It seems to be a common problem, as foxspeed says a regular strip and clean of the calipers is essential to stop it.

btw I believe the pins are around £13 each from Renault

These pads have been in for around 6months and was the first clean since i changed them. As you can see in the pic the bent pin is in 2 bits as i had to cut it out.

that price is right i got 2 kits which gives u 2pins and spring pad retainer £25 + vat each

Man iv really been considering cleaning my calipers etc recently so i think i should get my a** in gear and get it done!

don't suppose someone will be doing a detailed write up? this is something i would like to do but not without having a read up on what other people have done. ;/

don't suppose someone will be doing a detailed write up? this is something i would like to do but not without having a read up on what other people have done. ;/
I will be stripping ours soon so I will take some pics when I do it :smile:

look in the "how to" i think it will be quite beneficial :biggrin: