brake fade

GrumpyTwig

"the troll hunter" with added boost!
Being my first performance car I've never got to the point where fading brakes is possible but I seemed to have today on some b roads.

Was having to really stamp on the brakes to get them to work at all and when they did it was full on and the abs was starting to take over a bit.

Just wanting to make sure that sounds like brake fade or me just expecting a bit too much of them )was braking 60-70 to 30 in about 30 metres, I hadn't even been using them all that much to be honest so it seems to happen very easily :\

Is there anything that can be done to help as it wasn't the most fun :tongueout:

What car you got?

Might be the pads seized in, very common problem on the 197. I'd get them stripped down, inspect, and refit etc.

car is a FF 200 with just under 8k miles though brakes havent had much use as spent most of those miles on the motorway.

Brake fade is caused by a few things, brake fluid boiling and making the lines spongey and yes ure pads could have glazed.

Full day at Snetterton yesterday with Motul RBF600 and Pagid RS5 pads. Didn't fade once.

The OEM set up is designed for the road, so it can be pushed beyond the limits if you ask a lot of them.

I never pursued it, Woody, and having done yesterday I don't really think it needs them either.

I'd buy the AP discs, purely for the weight saving but it has enough stopping power on 312s with the right pads and fluid for the car's weight and power.

Yours obviously needs more though!

yeah i was thinking of buying them off you and having bells made. a friend with a CNC could probably machine them from a aluminium billet. if u want rid give me a PM

I've sold them mate - I do still have a spare set of rotors and a few sets of race pads I was going to sling on ebay though, you could use these to get your bells & carriers made up once you've found some appropriate calipers?

You'd ideally want an Alcon Type B 4-pot. Number 8 on this list... but you'd be better ringing EARS in Macclesfield and having them source them, as they'll be cheaper.

343x32 - same one they use on all their 4-po kits.

It is kind of on topic, as we're discussing what to do if you're sick of fade.... buy big **** off stoppers!!!

lmfao I know lol. 343 . . .. how much life they got left in em? ive got the wilwoods and they can take up to 32 mm so i shud be okay. pictures please :smile:

Loads of meat on them!

These were my spares I used the RC6s on, I had a mate re-polish them so there no pad contamination (causes judder if you mix types) and they're good to go.

Just check the Wilwoods can go up to a 343, but they sound ideal.

IMG_0155.jpg

how much you want for them mike? ill double check on the wilwoods. they were a standard swap on hangers for brembo's but brembos only take a 312mm disk. the pad coverage will be large though cus they are 6 pot.

gutted ive gotta get ready for work. ill check on my phone just PM me a price mate.

brake fade but you say the abs was triggered....that only works when they are locking up....sure it wasnt the road surface ??

did they smell or were they giving off much heat when you had stopped

brake fade but you say the abs was triggered....that only works when they are locking up....sure it wasnt the road surface ??

did they smell or were they giving off much heat when you had stopped

Not sure, the surface I was on wasn't great but it was well used tarmac so not slippy in that new tarmac kind of way.

Abs triggered I think because of a rear wheel as the back end was going out slightly.

I think I might try and trip and clean the brakes at some point, more annoying thing now is I've noticed an alloy has a chunk of paint flaked off :worried: