Bonnet Scratch From Wiper Arms!

Right had a mate thought he would try and be funny, by pulling my wiper blades up on my car after he'd finished work :jumpon:

I walked to my car to find the driver's side one up and the rear. I knew at this point there was going to be some damage as when washing my car the other day i couldn't pull the wiper arm up without it fouling the edge of the bonnet.

Pushed the wiper blade down to reveal the arm had fouled along the edge of the bonnet, taking about and inch worth of paint with it. Also felt very rough!!

Tamping wasn't the word!!

He's agreed to pay for the damage, and had a quote off 'Chips Away' for £70+ but the 'Chips Away' guy sounded like it would be a hard job as it was on the edge.

Expensive mistake i think so!!! :whatever:

What do you think a body shop would charge?

Anyone else had this?

touch up pen or respray whole bonnet. its not the biggest of bonnets though.

Nah it ain't is it, was shocked how light it was.

I don't really want to do a touch up pen, i want a proper job. To get the idea in his head that you don't mess with my car!!

First, what an idiot he must have felt it resist when he pulled it up. But, fair play to him for offering to pay for damage! I had a 'mate' who smashed one of my headlights with a trolley after a night out and refused to pay for damage "i cant afford it!" couldnt give a **** whether he could afford it or not, lol.
Respraying the whole bonnet seems a bit OTT to me, surely they can do just that little bit as its just the edge.

First, what an idiot he must have felt it resist when he pulled it up. But, fair play to him for offering to pay for damage! I had a 'mate' who smashed one of my headlights with a trolley after a night out and refused to pay for damage "i cant afford it!" couldnt give a **** whether he could afford it or not, lol.
Respraying the whole bonnet seems a bit OTT to me, surely they can do just that little bit as its just the edge.

Yeah man, with the wiper up, you could see where the paint had come off in little curls of paint :thumbdown:

Yeah i appreciate him owning up to it, and paying for it to.

Few people in work are like "why bother if its only a inch scratch?" and thats not the point, you've damaged my car, your paying for it lol. Only had it for 2 weeks!!!! You don't spend that amount of money on a car for people to mess with it!!

This happened to me when cleaning mine and I think a few people have had this scratch. Then a few weeks later a mate of mine put my wipers up too, I've just left mine for the moment but a whole new respray of the bonnet does sound a bit nuts

Mine had this when I bought it. Touched it up with a pen because you can barely see it. Such a stupid design though. I've thought about putting somethin soft on the edge just in case some idiot has the same idea as your mate! Lol!

Happened to me the other day as I didn't expect the wiper arm to pull up, one does one doesn't - don't know why?

Anyway, touch up pen and laquer, 5 mins later sorted.

I wouldn't respray a whole bonnet for that.. unless you have other stone chips etc...:smile:

b5296475.jpg

There's a photo of it. I know the scratch is only little but not the point really

Last edited:
just touch it up mate.. I wouldn't even contemplate spraying a panel let alone bonnet for that. use a good anti corrosive primer and put a coat of solid and laquer on top. As someone mentioned anyway, the bonnet maybe aluminium, I'm pretty sure my 172 cup was, so assuming these are the same.

I'm not contemplating a bonnet re-spray! And i don't want to touch it up. I want it sorted professionaly, the guy who did it is paying so want the best job on it as possible!

Ye mate, just go with what you think is best and make sure you use someone reputable.

I'm not contemplating a bonnet re-spray! And i don't want to touch it up. I want it sorted professionaly, the guy who did it is paying so want the best job on it as possible!

fair enough. Is it a solid or metallic?? solid colours are easy to blow in, metaliics harder, but the position that is may be possible.

I agree with u mate, before ur pal done this it was perfect so therefore u should expect it to be done perfect again

What a ****ter mate! I'd be so pissed and doing the exact same as you. Your not taking the piss just wanting it fixed. I'd say someone like chips away would be your easiest bet.