"bogging" when pulling away

Dont know if my clutch control is shockingly dyre, but let me explain the scenario

Car sitting at normal rpm at traffic light (top of my head 1300-1500rpm)
Depress clutch and press accelerator to pull away
car bogs down then pulls away normal while pressing accelerator

So its like as im trying pull away, the car will bog down for a second then go. Now this isnt too bad when pulling off normal, but if i want a quick start this bog is even worse and makes starts very crap...

Dont know if im missing something coming from the motorbike style of driving... But should i be throwing some revs on instead of leaving at idle or is there a fuel pump issue?

Just needs more revs mate, most of the power is top end so if you want a quick get away you need to pick the revs up.

It ain't easy to get "a good getaway" in the Clio tbh. Just a case of adjauting your driving to suit better.

Last edited:
It won't pull away at idle, there is practically no power/torque that low and the clutch engagement isn't progressive enough unless you're very gentle/slow with release.

I've had mine a year and still find it difficult to get a smooth start, once it's moving it's mostly fine.

think you just need to balance the revs and clutch bite point better - put a few revs more on as you release the clutch

I've noticed these things are rather hard to launch from a stand still too. I've only tried it a couple of times but you've really got to rev it and slowy slip the clutch. Wont be doing that too often :S

I'd say you need more revs on too. The clio just don't like not being abused!

My rubbish iPhone posted twice. Stupid "done" button!

Maybe more revs are needed yer but it sounds like your talking about the flat spot, where the power just lags for a second then kicks in

Maybe more revs are needed yer but it sounds like your talking about the flat spot, where the power just lags for a second then kicks in

to set off with 2000-2500rpm on would be like a pensioner trying to reverse out of a parking space in the super market......:001_rolleyes:

It's easy to pull away slowly in the clio but medium speed and high speed launches definitely aren't as easy as most cars

I agree with everything that has been said, I did it myself earlier after driving my van for a week without driving the Clio! It is difficult to get a good launch, but when you do you get a great sense of satisfaction! Lol!

I mocked the dealer who stalled a 197 on our test drive... Now 6 months into ownership I well and truly understand these things are hard to drive smooth

The missus stalled mine earlier. Didn't say anything as I will no doubt do it next week! Lol!

ive foudnt he most crucial element is wearing decent shoes, soft shoes that you can feel the pedals through, like ferrari/porche style puma trainers, or even cheap trainers form primark, as long as you can feel the pedal through the shoe

hate to sound cheesy but its like making love to a beautiful woman, gentle but firm :wink:
although only gentle & no firm on the clutch!