BMW M235i vs Clio 200

fezza555

Paid Member
Hi guys, I currently have a Clio 200 in racing blue, Akrapovic exhuast, Recaros and Eibach Coilovers which I have to say on the whole puts a big grin on my face despite some shortcomings.. As I am going to be doing increased mileage and venturing to new places alot more now I decided to put the Clio up for sale and get something slightly better on a longer journey and something a little bit easier to live with. The replacement is looking like it will be a BMW M235i..

The M235i is a very capable car; will do nearly 40mpg on the run, 326Bhp, 3.0 litre straight 6 with a twin scroll turbo, 0-60 - 5.0seconds, so will be an absolute rocket! The particular car I am looking at will have the Pro Nav which is a big screen for the media stuff like Satnav and music etc. The worry is as much as the numbers and toys on paper make for a good car if I will feel like just "another" wanker who drives a BMW lol..

Has anybody done this transitition to an M235i or similar and what did they think?

Me. Well it was an M135 but essentially the same car.

They are very nice cars, more than fast enough, comfortable, well made, sound great, come with all the "mod-cons" you need, surprisingly efficient when you drive sensibly, tax is cheaper than a Clio, insurance was cheaper (for me at least). All in all for what they are they're very good cars. As for how you'll feel I don't know, but for me I didn't feel like "another" BMW wanker but I did go out of my way not to act like one. However I did mostly feel bored driving it and very disconnected to the car quite quickly into ownership, which is why I sold it and got another Clio after 6/7 months or so.

Me. Well it was an M135 but essentially the same car.

They are very nice cars, more than fast enough, comfortable, well made, sound great, come with all the "mod-cons" you need, surprisingly efficient when you drive sensibly, tax is cheaper than a Clio, insurance was cheaper (for me at least). All in all for what they are they're very good cars. As for how you'll feel I don't know, but for me I didn't feel like "another" BMW wanker but I did go out of my way not to act like one. However I did mostly feel bored driving it and very disconnected to the car quite quickly into ownership, which is why I sold it and got another Clio after 6/7 months or so.

“Connected” is the key word there for me.

The two smallest cubic capicity motorbikes I’ve ever owned (One 400cc road-going and one 250cc for green laning) have been the most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels.

The Clio is much the same on 4 wheels. Then again I’m not a power-freak; and top speed and straight lines interest me none.
Personally I’m more about enjoyment, sensations, feelings and involvement. Faster is just that for me; and means nothing unless accompanied by good ‘sensations’....

Some modern stuff is HUGELY capable, but also sterile, un-involving and doesn’t stir the loins in the same way. For me.

Maybe that’s progress in terms of less cabin noise, multiple stability control systems, muted sounds and feelings etc etc. But I’m obviously not quite grown up enough to appreciate them yet :laughing:

***I’ve not had the pleasure of a decent ride in the car mentioned and in no way am I suggesting a Clio is the ‘better’ transport. They just possibly attack the term ‘sports’ or ‘hot hatch’ from different angles and different era’s. Hence comparison is difficult imo.

Good luck !

Last edited:
Yeah the bummer is nic but to be honest there is a sense of boredom that creeps into the cabin upon a fe hundred miles, its missing the va va boom. A Clio is car that requires your input while the bummer says, hey I got this. And sometimes we want that as drivers but to remove va va voom completely is not an easy task. I hope you rethink the call on losing the french affair!

Thanks for the replies, yer I'm certainly feeling that as much as the M235i will tick most of the boxes it will lack the engagement and raw edge of the Clio. As above I think for the immediate future for a daily I may find it's a great car, but lacks the entertainment of the Clio. Life is about experiencing new things so I think my mind is made up I will move to the BMW but almost certainly will look at getting another Clio in the future for track days and a fun weekend car which alot of people tend to use them for. Its funny how you can get so attached to the little frenchie.

Have you considered an FK8 Type R? Build quality is excellent and they’re more fun to drive than an m135i. FK2 would be worth a look too. Obviously depends how you feel about the looks!

Have you considered an FK8 Type R? Build quality is excellent and they’re more fun to drive than an m135i. FK2 would be worth a look too. Obviously depends how you feel about the looks!

Have a word with ya self :tongueout:
but on a serious note, the reason the honda is capable now in the corners is because they bought renaults clever hub design off the 8 year old megane.

Old man has a 140i which i drive now and then with every extra possible. Great daily, sounds mega. goes pretty well but doesnt make me feel close to how the meg does. its also awful on fuel so if you think you will get 40mpg then lol.

“Connected” is the key word there for me.

The two smallest cubic capicity motorbikes I’ve ever owned (One 400cc road-going and one 250cc for green laning) have been the most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels.

The Clio is much the same on 4 wheels. Then again I’m not a power-freak; and top speed and straight

Its funny how you can get so attached to the little frenchie.
My feelings having given up my Clio & replaced my wife's A1 with an S1! S1 is starting to grow on me 2/3 months in though.

Reactions: Beany

Cheers mate. I did have a little look to be fair, bit too pricey for the later one at the minute, very cool car though! It's quite a lump compared to the Clio!

Have a word with ya self :tongueout:
but on a serious note, the reason the honda is capable now in the corners is because they bought renaults clever hub design off the 8 year old megane.

Old man has a 140i which i drive now and then with every extra possible. Great daily, sounds mega. goes pretty well but doesnt make me feel close to how the meg does. its also awful on fuel so if you think you will get 40mpg then lol.

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't decide if this was the kind of the feeling I would get so I have decided to keep hold of the Clio :thumb:, wasn't prepared to spend about 17k on a new car only to find out the Clio is much more fun to drive lol.

Reactions: jamesgw200
Cheers mate. I did have a little look to be fair, bit too pricey for the later one at the minute, very cool car though! It's quite a lump compared to the Clio!

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't decide if this was the kind of the feeling I would get so I have decided to keep hold of the Clio :thumb:, wasn't prepared to spend about 17k on a new car only to find out the Clio is much more fun to drive lol.
if youre in love with renault, the logical step is the megane. :thumb:

if youre in love with renault, the logical step is the megane. :thumb:

You're right, space and practicality make the Megane a logical step. But it's not a Clio. Even the Clio 3 only just gets away with that 'Special' feeling you get from hot hatches.

I've thought about this long and hard as I continue to try to justify using a bright blue Clio as my primary source of transport. Parked in a sea of BMW, Merc and Tesla at work.

At the tender age of 39 its getting a lot more difficult. I feel like a bit of a pleb sometimes... But I look back at it when I park it, I smile when I drive it and have a very unhealthy connection with it (mechanically its pampered more than I pamper myself)

I'm going to get a new car. But I can't bear to let go of the Clio. So It shall remain a forever car. It embodies everything I lusted for as a teen with my 80's and 90's influence in a modern reliable platform.

I felt bad at first modifying an R27 in Racing Blue. But the evolution of the car has taught me so much and I enjoy nothing more than plotting the next step. And it's unique to me and I love the idea of being the grandpa with the crazy small blue car that rattles your teeth out, spits flames and goes round corners on three wheels.

It's a poorly built car and it's now slowly starting to show its age. Its daily life has come to an end.

The key to Clio ownership, in my opinion, is to have a solid, reliable comfy daily and then buy the cheapest Clio you can with the best shell. Then project the shit out of it.

Reactions: peter and Sean197
You need to stop caring what other people think of your car. Who cares if folk have a chuckle about it? You shouldn't.

FWIW my m135i is more of a practical daily rather than 'fun'. It's one of the most capable cars ive owned and i'm struggling to find a replacement but it's heavy. you wouldn't throw it around like the clio as it's not quite as responsive or composed as the equiv M3/M2. I mostly use it for it's luggage carrying, motorway comfort and daily runabout duties. Granted, it's faster than the clio but fast is not the only qualifier for fun!

My 2 cents on this: I went from a pretty well specced clio 200(cup pack, recaro's, quaife, decent set of wheels and tyres, akrapovic) to the M2 with a manual.

The M2 is a better car, it's more comfortable, faster, much faster, better on fuel even if you behave. And I have fun in it on the road, lots of oversteer and powerslides, damn good fun and I wouldn't want to mis it. It's such a great feeling correcting a slide, feeling the car leaning on the rear suspension with the tyres lit up! But....it's an expensive car (for me anyways)! Car payments are a first for me, full coverage insurance and taxes at 2600€/year vs 385€/year on my clio. It's costing me a shit ton of money just to have it, not regretting it...just underestimated the cost a bit. I now need 4 new tires, it's going to cost 1000€, clio was something like 3-400€.

The clio was loads cheaper to run (without taking repair bills into account that is) and when built up to proper spec, it's one of the greatest hot hatches to drive and track. So much fun on track and I miss that, i've not yet taken my M2 on track...the cost of tyres and brakes on it is rather huge and puts me off. On the road, the M2 takes it for me, the clio wasn't comfortable to drive to the track (I did it anyway, 2-3-4hours trips to Nürburgring, Spa and Ecuyers with earplugs and the misses), once on track this thing was quick enough but only just. At Zolder it did more then OK, it was quick at that track even. Ecuyers, very good, small track so horsepower isn't very relevant. Spa and Nurburgring; needs more horsepower but it's fun anyway.

It's very tempting to go with the big boys and buy an M car, but beware of the big bucks it cost to get into that club. In the end I was happy doing 5-6 trackdays per year in my clio, upgrading it was fun and expensive at the same time. It's hard to be content with a clio if all you see on the internet are supercars and big power sportcars...but trust me, driving a slow car fast is more fun then driving a fast car slow! Do I regret buying an M2? No, I love that car and I drive it way more often then my clio because my clio was always breaking and always needed fixing up. It made it to where I didn't have an urge to drive it because I was constantly worried about it so it spoiled the fun.

Your question regarding the M135i; it's probably better value for money then an M2, but I think it lacks the gigle factor an M car needs to have. It's not as sharp, it's more of a daily driver hot hatch rather then a sportscar. I wouldn't do it unless you're buying it to daily drive instead of a clio, then yes do it.

Similar Thread Suggestions