BMW M235i vs Clio 200

Discussion in 'Other Marques' started by fezza555, May 30, 2019.

1. fezza555

fezza555 Paid Member

Car:
    Renaultsport clio 200
    Hi guys, I currently have a Clio 200 in racing blue, Akrapovic exhuast, Recaros and Eibach Coilovers which I have to say on the whole puts a big grin on my face despite some shortcomings.. As I am going to be doing increased mileage and venturing to new places alot more now I decided to put the Clio up for sale and get something slightly better on a longer journey and something a little bit easier to live with. The replacement is looking like it will be a BMW M235i..

The M235i is a very capable car; will do nearly 40mpg on the run, 326Bhp, 3.0 litre straight 6 with a twin scroll turbo, 0-60 - 5.0seconds, so will be an absolute rocket! The particular car I am looking at will have the Pro Nav which is a big screen for the media stuff like Satnav and music etc. The worry is as much as the numbers and toys on paper make for a good car if I will feel like just "another" wanker who drives a BMW lol..

Has anybody done this transitition to an M235i or similar and what did they think?

2. petercronin

petercronin Paid Member

Car:
    LY FF Clio 200 with Cup Pack
    Me. Well it was an M135 but essentially the same car.

They are very nice cars, more than fast enough, comfortable, well made, sound great, come with all the "mod-cons" you need, surprisingly efficient when you drive sensibly, tax is cheaper than a Clio, insurance was cheaper (for me at least). All in all for what they are they're very good cars. As for how you'll feel I don't know, but for me I didn't feel like "another" BMW wanker but I did go out of my way not to act like one. However I did mostly feel bored driving it and very disconnected to the car quite quickly into ownership, which is why I sold it and got another Clio after 6/7 months or so.

sevenfourate and Big Ben like this.
  3. sevenfourate

sevenfourate Devotee of OCD Paid Member

Car:
    Citroen C2 GT
    “Connected” is the key word there for me.

The two smallest cubic capicity motorbikes I’ve ever owned (One 400cc road-going and one 250cc for green laning) have been the most fun I’ve ever had on two wheels.

The Clio is much the same on 4 wheels. Then again I’m not a power-freak; and top speed and straight lines interest me none.
    Personally I’m more about enjoyment, sensations, feelings and involvement. Faster is just that for me; and means nothing unless accompanied by good ‘sensations’....

Some modern stuff is HUGELY capable, but also sterile, un-involving and doesn’t stir the loins in the same way. For me.

Maybe that’s progress in terms of less cabin noise, multiple stability control systems, muted sounds and feelings etc etc. But I’m obviously not quite grown up enough to appreciate them yet :laughing:

***I’ve not had the pleasure of a decent ride in the car mentioned and in no way am I suggesting a Clio is the ‘better’ transport. They just possibly attack the term ‘sports’ or ‘hot hatch’ from different angles and different era’s. Hence comparison is difficult imo.

Good luck !

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
    Marsch, fezza555 and Shannon larmour like this.
  4. VolumeX

VolumeX

Car:
    Clio mk3 197 & 200 20th
    Yeah the bummer is nic but to be honest there is a sense of boredom that creeps into the cabin upon a fe hundred miles, its missing the va va boom. A Clio is car that requires your input while the bummer says, hey I got this. And sometimes we want that as drivers but to remove va va voom completely is not an easy task. I hope you rethink the call on losing the french affair!

5. Shannon larmour

Shannon larmour Paid Member

Car:
    If you love driving the Clio, you will get bored quickly with the BMW,

748 nailed it.

sevenfourate likes this.
  6. fezza555

fezza555 Paid Member

Car:
    Renaultsport clio 200
    Thanks for the replies, yer I'm certainly feeling that as much as the M235i will tick most of the boxes it will lack the engagement and raw edge of the Clio. As above I think for the immediate future for a daily I may find it's a great car, but lacks the entertainment of the Clio. Life is about experiencing new things so I think my mind is made up I will move to the BMW but almost certainly will look at getting another Clio in the future for track days and a fun weekend car which alot of people tend to use them for. Its funny how you can get so attached to the little frenchie.

7. RichCUp

RichCUp Paid Member

Have you considered an FK8 Type R? Build quality is excellent and they’re more fun to drive than an m135i. FK2 would be worth a look too. Obviously depends how you feel about the looks!

8. jamesgw200

jamesgw200

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    Have a word with ya self :tongueout:
    but on a serious note, the reason the honda is capable now in the corners is because they bought renaults clever hub design off the 8 year old megane.

Old man has a 140i which i drive now and then with every extra possible. Great daily, sounds mega. goes pretty well but doesnt make me feel close to how the meg does. its also awful on fuel so if you think you will get 40mpg then lol.

9. Johnny 99

Johnny 99 Winner - POTM October 2018 Platinum Member

Car:
    Clio Renaultsport 200
    My feelings having given up my Clio & replaced my wife's A1 with an S1! S1 is starting to grow on me 2/3 months in though.

Beany likes this.
  10. fezza555

fezza555 Paid Member

Car:
    Renaultsport clio 200
    Cheers mate. I did have a little look to be fair, bit too pricey for the later one at the minute, very cool car though! It's quite a lump compared to the Clio!

Thanks for the reply. Couldn't decide if this was the kind of the feeling I would get so I have decided to keep hold of the Clio :thumb:, wasn't prepared to spend about 17k on a new car only to find out the Clio is much more fun to drive lol.

jamesgw200 likes this.
  11. jamesgw200

jamesgw200

Car:
    Megane 275 Trophy
    if youre in love with renault, the logical step is the megane. :thumb: