Best fuel 197

chris_blue

Paid Member
Have used V-Power last couple months after an issue using Tesco 99 RON (Contamination scare at my local Tesco couple month back)

Changed back to Tesco stuff as its lots cheaper- have noticed it seems slightly "less sharp" at pulling away, and less sharp thru the rev range

The car is generally sharper in this colder (January 2024) weather atm as would be expected
However- is there a real difference in the fuels to actually notice a better performing engine? Or is it my imagination?

Remapped engine, KN Panel filter, sports Cat, Toyo mani.

That being said I noticed similar on a tank of Esso premium I had to put in but maybe that was placebo as the petrol station wasn't the best and that started getting me worried over nothing.

Except for a few occasions where it wasn't available I always used Shell V-Power (100 RON) or Aral Ultimate (102 RON). The latter should be the same as BP Ultimate as Aral is the German subsidiary of BP but I'm and not really sure on that. The only difference I really noticed or at least imagine to is when going Vmax on the Autobahn. It seems to go a tad faster and easier up there as with 98 but this maybe was related to other conditions or just a placebo effect.

The standard map should be for 98 (max). That's why more shouldn't make a difference except for helping to reduce possible knocking. Maybe that's why it feels a bit better at full throttle in the higher revs and higher speeds. Not sure.

Interesting ran the Clio on 102 from Aral whilst at the ring and it loved it.

The max we get in the UK at BP is 97Ron from memory. Tesco momentum and Shell V Power are 99.

Only place I have seen do 102 on pump in the UK is the Gulf Station that is in the Paddock at Silverstone and the last time I saw pricing it was something daft like £4 a litre.

Mine always ran better on Momentum. Try Esso, their Supreme+ is 99 ron.