Ben Collins aka the Stig just tweeted this

For what it's worth I drove the 200 EDC and i thought it was great tbh. I think it's just a marmite car for some people so your always going to get haters, personally it's not my cup of tea with the auto box (hence why I bought the 265) but I wouldn't say its crap.

I didnt mean that its crap, its just not as hardcore as the 200 was. The car is not an improvement performance wise, nor is technicaly so advanced as was the previous model (suspension setup, brembos), hence it shouldnt be so pricey. It has some fancy gadgets, and is more comfortable, but that is not (or was not) the point of the RS Clio. Sales figures says it all I think. Other than that, I think that in white and in flash it looks quite good, as it does in black, other colours arent that suited to the car imo. But here is this bitter taste, that it could be so much better with the flared arches and a 3 door body...

well in relation to your comments about the brembos:

1. the new 320mm brakes actually pull up the car is less time that the brembo equipped outgoing model
2. the brembo constantly need stripping and cleaning due to seizing pistons
3. constant issues with caliper pins

Also the new dampers have hydraulic compression bump stops. I think you will find that this is an advancement normally reserved for race cars of a higher calibre

it isnt all about flared arches. Im enjoying the lower tax. better mpg, more torque, more drivable round town and lots more tuning potential

Each to their own. Id rather have something different

well I agree with you about the driveability around town and the torque and tuning potential, however the gearbox will probably kill all the fun in tuning, if it really isnt strong enough.

Until someone modifies one assumptions are all we are going to have. The fact that the box has a torque limit will be a massive factor on modifying the lump.

you can level that at the 197/200 as well been plenty of gearboxes on here self-implode :innocent:

Racks, gearboxes, steering wheels, ball joints, recaro wear, seizing brakes, handbrake issues, rear window rust, squeaky clutch, etc, etc

Glad the Mk3 doesn't have a long list of regular issues.........

Kenny did have his signature as "evolve". Thats what the clio has done, moved on with technology and the market. Opinions will always be divided - each to their own.

Id only ever seen pictures and wasn't too sure. Seeing Kennys' at Trax was the first in flesh and i liked it

I do think the Clio has evolved and modernised with the times

It's very hard to compare my nodded old screaming 200 to a completely standard 1.6T

As we know the potential is there for the New car

Time will tell

1. the new 320mm brakes actually pull up the car is less time that the brembo equipped outgoing model

That could be more due to them being gifted more assistance than the older car though than the size of the disc, it'll be interesting to hear how you find them stand up on track though if you take it out as that was one of the things (other than the EDC box) that put me off them.

Racks, gearboxes, steering wheels, ball joints, recaro wear, seizing brakes, handbrake issues, rear window rust, squeaky clutch, etc, etc

I would love to see some figures on these regular issues. Having owned two 200s and covered 60k miles in them both I have still only had one of of the list above and that is Recaro wear.

Regardless if all the issues are fixed with the 200 and even if could be modified to make stupid power I still wouldn't buy one. With an impending court case with RUK I don't think I could ever do business with a company that is as incompetent as they have proven to be over the last two years. When you buy a new car in this day and age the follow up service is very important and with a very complicated gearbox I wouldn't risk it.

Mentalpen you really don't know what you are talking about. Out mk3 is absolutely faultless!

NOT

I would love to see some figures on these regular issues. Having owned two 200s and covered 60k miles in them both I have still only had one of of the list above and that is Recaro wear.

Regardless if all the issues are fixed with the 200 and even if could be modified to make stupid power I still wouldn't buy one. With an impending court case with RUK I don't think I could ever do business with a company that is as incompetent as they have proven to be over the last two years. When you buy a new car in this day and age the follow up service is very important and with a very complicated gearbox I wouldn't risk it.

That's what I used to say till I ticked off a large number off that list. Not to mention other regular issues I counted under etc

That's what I used to say till I ticked off a large number off that list. Not to mention other regular issues I counted under etc

I picked my first 200 up on the 15th June 2009 which I think was one week after the uk release date and have driven both pretty hard most of their life with me and have still not had any of these common issues. Fair does most of the paint has fallen off. I do wonder some times how many of these common issues are as a result of user error at some point!? Or even failing to maintain the car properly.

Oh well... Getting pretty off topic now but hopefully like Renault done with the 197-200 they will iron out the small sore points of the new car with the next gen 200T and will have another award winning car!

I can assure you my cars want for nothing, fully serviced. Wife mainly drives the Clio so it hardly sees 4,000 revs let alone the rest, purely run on RON99, brakes are stripped and cleaned regular, monthly checks of fluids and pressures etc. Washed correctly and even has £200 wax on it.

Never has one ounce of trouble in the 172, 182 or 197. Yet the 200 has had loads replaced.

Going on the mk2 to mk3 meg there will be a huge reliability improvement after any initial teething issues are resolved much like any new car.

Had it not been for renaults poor finance packages (I couldn't have 0% apt with 15k deposit) i would have ordered a 200T on day one.

Last edited by a moderator:
1 month on in mine and to be fair its been great

Just a few more miles to go on it and il will see how the standard car holds up round Donnington Park