Anyone had laser eye treatment??

Hey the girlfriend wants laser eye surgery to sort her eyes out as hates her glasses and wont wear contacts. Just wondering if anyone knows anything important about laser eye surgery or has had it and wanna share any tips and facts. Thanks guys (and girls)

not permanent fix has to be done every 10 years and its ££££

Really? I've never heard this, I started to look into this the other but my prescriptions were all over the place at the time so no one would look at it till it settled down, which is now has. I've worn glasses permanently since I was 5 so would love to get of them

My wife had it, her prescription was v. bad. She had it done around 5 years ago and still has great vision. Another friend had it done around 12-15 years ago and is fine.

Over time your vision will deteriorate, but you would be unlucky for it to deteriorate that far. The other thing is that laser can only correct one of long or short sightedness, not both, so if you are older and need bifocals it won't completely solve the problem.

It made life much better for my wife, a very sound investment. She used Ultralase IIRC and had no complaints whatsoever, except that when they say "you might feel some pressure" what they mean is "this is going to hurt like ****!"

I'm long and short sighted, all the companies I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem, the thing that was causing a problem was the squint I had corrected when I was younger, it causes my eye to drift a lot

Fair enough, I didn't think that was possible, unless they did one eye each way. Technology must have improved over the past 5-6 years I guess.

I'm long and short sighted, all the companies I spoke to said it wouldn't be a problem, the thing that was causing a problem was the squint I had corrected when I was younger, it causes my eye to drift a lot

Sorry, very very off topic, but your avatar makes me wet myself every time I see it. I love Stewie!

As for laser eye surgery, as has already been said, not high st companies! :coffee:

I think they treat long and short the same as with contacts just do one eye each way . I have contacts that I sleep in for a month not had a problem with them.

The problem with the long term use of contacts is that over time (many years) it restricts the air to your eyes, and the blood vessels in the eyes move forward, which makes your eyes look red.

Also long term use can damage the surface of your eyes.

It was due to the consequences of long term lens wearing that my wife had the laser surgery - her eyes were already showing signs of damage from excessive contact lens wear.

Over time your vision will deteriorate, but you would be unlucky for it to deteriorate that far. The other thing is that laser can only correct one of long or short sightedness, not both, so if you are older and need bifocals it won't completely solve the problem.
You're confused there fella. It can and always has been possible to correct long sighted and short sighted. The use of bifocals/varifocals is due to presbyopia, which is a completely different condition and isn't correctable.
The problem with the long term use of contacts is that over time (many years) it restricts the air to your eyes, and the blood vessels in the eyes move forward, which makes your eyes look red.

Also long term use can damage the surface of your eyes.

It was due to the consequences of long term lens wearing that my wife had the laser surgery - her eyes were already showing signs of damage from excessive contact lens wear.

Again, simply not true. A poorly fitting lens, or a patient not suitable for CL wear may experience problems. The blood vessels grow into the cornea if there's oxygen starvation, which is invisible to the naked eye.

Really? I've never heard this, I started to look into this the other but my prescriptions were all over the place at the time so no one would look at it till it settled down, which is now has. I've worn glasses permanently since I was 5 so would love to get of them

Give me a shout if you need any advise fella. But please, don't go to a high st 'clinic'.

Give me a shout if you need any advise fella. But please, don't go to a high st 'clinic'.

Ah, I may very well do mate. my presciption has been stable to a couple of years now, I was going to see how it was at the next test. I dont think they've got any better or worse.

I'm just so sick of wearing them, I do wear contacts a lot and its so much better than glasses I want rid. If I could get rid of glasses all together it would save me a fortune lol

I'm short sighted in one eye, long in the other, both have astigmatism and one is rugy ball shaped lol

I had mine done about 6/7 yrs ago and have had no problems but over the last year they have been slightly worse but still better than before. I was warned of this pre op though. Best cash I ever spent.

I'm going for it on the 18th two of my mates have had it done from a reputable place not a high street butcher hopefully all will be well I'll let you know how it all goes

Have they tried you in night and day contact lenses?

Sort of, I've been to vision express who were crap so I never tried them, spec savers who I did try but gave me loads of hastle. I'm now with optical express and they've been pretty good so far. I asked about them at optical express and they said that because of my prescription I can't have them.

Here's my current contact lens prescription, my glasses are slightly different
8.7 14.4 +2.5 / -3.25 x170
8.7 14.4 +2.0 / -2.75 x015

Sort of, I've been to vision express who were crap so I never tried them, spec savers who I did try but gave me loads of hastle. I'm now with optical express and they've been pretty good so far. I asked about them at optical express and they said that because of my prescription I can't have them.

Here's my current contact lens prescription, my glasses are slightly different
8.7 14.4 +2.5 / -3.25 x170
8.7 14.4 +2.0 / -2.75 x015

Could correct a decent chunk of the astigmatism with day and night lenses, but not all of it. How you'd cope, would be a try it and see situation. I've seen people get away with it and vice versa.

I could try it, I'd probably struggle at first with dizziness and falling over which normally happens when anyone changes that bit of my prescription lol.

Day and night ones are the lenses that go in at the start of the month and come out at the end aren't they? How far are you from freds mate? I up for a prescription check very soon and some new glasses and I can't find anyone decent round here

I live close to his place, our practice is about 20miles away. Bring Naith, that fool needs to get some contact lenses sorting as well.