any you guys got a speed cam detector?

i have a road angel+ but its no longer available - still get camera updates for it but the subscription runs out in 2012....

found it accurate and compact and with it being battery powered its quickly removed :wink:

not had the "radar/lazer" warning go off yet.......

As above i had the Road angel compact with the laser detector addition fitted for £50 on top of the unit.

I doubt it works as i also have never had a warning yet, even when going past mobile speed cameras/forward facing etc.

My son also had the road angel after being done twice for speeding
Don't think he rated it to be honest.he just grew up

I have a road angel vantage - mainly brought it because I do 50k a year + in the works van so wanted to try and avoid getting points especially after a few close calls.

Its a good unit and very accurate but its been quite problematic as I have sent it back twice in the 10 months I've owned it - first time due to the unit completely crashing and going blank: the second time because it stopped accepting charge.

I pay for the live updates which is good as it updates on the move however I have had the unit display a message several times saying that the units database has failed then it has to re-update itself which takes 30mins which isn't very good especially when your in a big speed camera area like Scotland and London

As above i had the Road angel compact with the laser detector addition fitted for £50 on top of the unit.

I doubt it works as i also have never had a warning yet, even when going past mobile speed cameras/forward facing etc.

thats a catch 22 situation isnt it because it will warn you about the speed trap area so you slow down they will then not have the lazer on you so it wont go off i suppose :huh:

Road Angel Vantage.

I don't go in the car without it.

Where I live there are never speed cameras in accident black spot areas where people have died over the years...(including people I know).... :-(

There are however lots of mobile sites in areas where there are never accidents. Steep hills with hidden corners seem to be a popular spot.

Last edited:
My dad has a Snooper Saphire.

Must say it's brilliant, very compact (iPhone size), can be hard-wired into the car for power too. I think there's a yearly fee or you can pay a lifetime fee of £99 for updates. It picks up EVERYTHING. Inlcuding mobile sites and has full laser and radar detection even though they're coy about that bit in the description. :wink:

Whats wrong with using sat nav with speed camera database installed? The whole laser/radar detector seems pretty pointless as by the time its detected the laser/radar you've already been caught.

Whats wrong with using sat nav with speed camera database installed? The whole laser/radar detector seems pretty pointless as by the time its detected the laser/radar you've already been caught.

+1. The laser detection units do not work, they're a con. Hence why road angel etc use GPS databases.

When you can get a free app for your iPhone (and other smart phones I assume), then pay under £20 a year for a regularly updated camera database, you'd be a mug to pay for a standalone unit.

Must admit, I have CamsAhoy! on my iPhone which is GPS based an the times I've used it it has worked perfectly.

£1.79. :smiley:

Similar Thread Suggestions