Any one with electrical knowledge

Hi i have been reading alot recently about people with mk4 golf who have managed to make the fog lights come on when the cars unlocked. the instructions are in the link below but are specific to the golf does anybody know if this is possible or were the cables that are mentioned would run on the clio i have a haynes manual with the wiring diagrams but cant make much sense of it.

Link:

http://uk-mkivs.net/forums/t/166062.aspx?pageindex=1

thanks for the help

I'm sure it'll be possible, just a case of working out which wires need to be put into which relays!

On the old fiesta I had people used to wire them up so that fog lights came on with full beam but also so the fog lights would still work on the normal switch.

Unfortunately I can't help with specifics though, I'm an electronics dummy!

thanks for the reply BenW i have already looked at the stubby switch to see if the wires are similar but all there is are 5-6 really thin red wires that go onto a board. If you look under the dash with the top of the steering column trim removed you can see a box which could be the equivalent of the vag box. Il try and get a picture of it with the steering column removed

I'd be looking at the connections in the fuse box rather than the steering column.

I'd guess you need to look for a switched ignition live and fog light live wire. They need to be linked together using some sort of relay, not sure how you go about turning them off when the engine is started/door opened etc.

EDIT: perhaps you could use the interior lights live wire as a trigger to a relay, that would mean fog lights come on with the interior lights and also turn off with the interior lights.

I was thinking about using the interior light as the source but didnt know were you would ground it. I have a relay but cant wire it up it seems easy once you know what cables go were.

You can ground it anywhere metal mate, i'd attach it to a headlight ground or something for best chances.

Relays have a specific number for each terminal input/output function, known as the ANSI device number i think....?

This may be useful:

http://www.bcae1.com/relays.htm

following the golf forum would this work:

Golf

Pin 87 (+) on relay is the output to the head lights switch multi plug

Pin 85 & 30 (+) is live from the head lights switch multi plug

Pin 86 (-) is switching earth from CCM

Clio

Pin 87 (+) ? switched live could be the feed for the interior light

Pin 85 & 30 (+) fog light live found just in front of the passenger side arch yellow and brown cables if i remember

Pin 86 (-) any ground, ground for interior light as this could be what brakes the circuit?

if this looks correct could anybody with some knowledge let me know.

thanks