Air conditioning fault

Chrisgti6

East Midlands Rep.
Hi all,

The A/C doesn't work in my car, the light comes on but the compressor doesn't kick in.

Is it possible that it just needs a service & re-gas?

Cheers

Chris

it doesn't come on if the outside temp is 5 c or below.. Might be a fuse although I'd expect the light wouldn't come on then.

I had problems with the A/C in my 197. Renault sorted it out for free under warranty, but I think the compressor won't kick in if the gas level is low. Might just need a regas, but there's usually a seal or something that's caused it to leak out.

low gas pressure will stop it turning on - theres a pressure sensor in the condensor

also if the outside temperature is low as said it wont work - unless you stick your finger on the outside temperature sensor on the wing mirror - not recommended when its too cold cold as it could cause freezing of parts

there is also a known wiring fault to the compressor that can cause it to fail

I'll get it booked in at the place in Chesterfield to get it checked out.

Cheers guys, and i'll update with the results when I find out.

Chris

Take it to your local Ren dealer. If the charge gets low the ECU will isolate the compressor. You need a Renault CLIP system to reactivate. Also the Ren dealer is likely to rectify the wiring under warranty if it is faulty, they did on mine and it was well outside the warranty period.