Air con, how necessary is it!?

I'm planning on getting a 197 cup soon, there's a well priced one up for sale at the moment which I'm going to look at on Monday, but it doesn't have air con. Seems like it was a pretty popular extra as most the cups have it! Anyone have a cup, or been in a cup, which doesn't have air con? Wondering if its a must have or whether you can live without it.

I couldn't live without it now, having had it for 4 years now, and I've only been driving 4 and a half! If you have it on the car you can choose not to use it. If you don't have it on the car, there is no choice, you do without and suffer. End Of! Lol!

Depends how much you value performance over comfort and how many miles you do I would say. Also, a very big factor, which you yourself have pointed out, is that a/c is a popular option. So it will be again when it comes to selling time for you. And guess what. People will choose yours last out of a bunch because it has no a/c. So although the a/c may have only been a £300 option (just for arguments sake) without it you can only sell the car for £1k less than the equivelant car with a/c.

It's only worth saving the weight if it means the difference between winning a losing a race... and you're not buying a race car. the benefits of having the aircon will be felt more obviously than the effects of not having its weight.

0.2 of a second a lap slower or not feeling exhausted on a hot day?

I have air con and very rarely use it if I'm honest. I prefer using the windows... but on those hot days over the summer, my god was I glad i have it. Windows just do not help on those days lol. Add that to the other good points made above and it gives you the answer that yer you really do need air con!

I never use the A/C in my CUP, uses fuel and its far more easier to just wind the windows down.

Also, when is it ever hot enough in this country to satisfy the need for A/C? Its always bloody cloudy!

I couldn't live without it now, having had it for 4 years now, and I've only been driving 4 and a half! If you have it on the car you can choose not to use it. If you don't have it on the car, there is no choice, you do without and suffer. End Of! Lol!

Depends how much you value performance over comfort and how many miles you do I would say. Also, a very big factor, which you yourself have pointed out, is that a/c is a popular option. So it will be again when it comes to selling time for you. And guess what. People will choose yours last out of a bunch because it has no a/c. So although the a/c may have only been a £300 option (just for arguments sake) without it you can only sell the car for £1k less than the equivelant car with a/c.

When I was selling my car, somebody wouldn't buy it because it did have A/C!

Depends on the person I guess. Recaro's are a must if your looking to keep resale value, people always go for the Recaros before anything else.

I suppose you have got a point there Jason, if most Cup models have got a/c, finding one without a/c might be difficult, and anyone wanting a Cup without it would probably be willing to pay extra to get one. Having said that, I think this kind of situation would be rare to say the least.

If it a daily driver a/c is a must!use ours all the time and was a must have option for us no two ways about it,even all my rs(lightweight version) evos have had factory option a/c would never buy car without. in a normally aspirated small engined car every gram counts but still wouldn't go without a/c

With the air con on in mine, the average MPG is only down 0,1 MPG over the whole tank.

Also, yeah you don't need it too often in this country, but when I have been to Germany and France when it has been 37 plus degrees C, thats when it is useful!

The motorway and in traffic when there is not much or too much air flow for the windows is another time.

I was in the same situation when i was looking, i had air con in my last car, and the one 197 cup i wanted had no air con.
I decided to go for it and havent missed it once.
It also didnt have recaros, which i did want, but there are that many wear issues with them it didnt really bother me, plus the standard seats are pretty nice :smile:
id go for it, looks really nice!