Advice and knowledge required

Right,

My 197 is now 2 1/2 years old, it has nearly 50k on the clock from new and I am the only owner. I know its quite a few miles but for 18 months of ownership I was travelling 500 miles a week for work and then doing a round trip of 200 miles at the weekend for the ex mrs. (I didnt read the fuel consumption figures)

Anyway....

Its due its service pretty soon and have a number of faults beginning to piss me off and having me hesistate selling up and getting something boring and reliable.

1. Steering wheel is starting to ripple.
2. Lights in the dashboard dont come on all the time.
3. The heated rear window has a few lines that dont work.
and 4. being the main one, it hardly ever starts first time and the steering lock wont work for love nor money.

Now im pretty happy to say that all these faults should be covered by warranty, the lights in the dash are a faulty wire as when you hit it they come on. Has anyone suffered from any of the above and if so have you had any chance with dealers as im starting to get frustrated.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the moan...seem to go on a bit.

mine is on 50 k but kilometres not miles so that is a little less, mine didnt have any issues with the steering wheel yet, I'm on the key ignition so the steering lock is just like "in the old days" and it always works :smile: noticed that sometimes when the lights are on I have no instrument panel light, need to turn the lights off and on again to have it work.... seems to be a common fault on the clios and the dealer told me they wont replace the "clocks" cause it wont help at all... but anyway hope you get it all sorted under warranty, oh and only time mine didnt start is when the alarm goes crazy.... happened a few times already, need to get that replaced before it gets worse...

Yeah i get the same as skny sometimes, when i put the lights on, the instrument panel dont come on :confused1: so i just turn lights off and on again they work then :smile:
Get your motor straight to the dealer's to sort out them faults ASAP, good luck :thumbup1:

The melting steering wheel seems quite common. I am hoping mine wont do it as I use a disklok, maybe they dont like UV rays??

personally I'd get the bits fixed and keep it mate. with mileage like that the engine should be coming into its own now. When our 182 got to 50k it came even more alive than it already was :smile:

Never heard of a 197 having trouble starting though? Thought it was abit too advanced for such a silly problem.

Never heard of a 197 having trouble starting though? Thought it was abit too advanced for such a silly problem.

I think thats the problem, its too advanced which causes problems.

And as for keeping it I want to as it brings a smile to my face when it gets going.

Going to ring the dealer after crimbo and get it all sorted.

You have a warranty, so use it! Mine will be going back for steering wheel melt on the right hand side in the new year

the instrument panel problem is a common fault on a 197 ive had mine replaced already, there is a tech note out for that as for the steering lock problem it may be a pedal switch problem?

Similar Thread Suggestions