acustic valve position

What is the purpose of this valve? I have something in mind but hope someone can enlighten me thou :biggrin:

I think it's to reduce the noise the airbox makes, am sure Foxspeed will correct me if am wrong:smiley:

Last edited:
Wouldn't think that would reduce noise. Normally the car has resonator boxes (or just one) to reduce induction noise and not another opening so close to the airbox.

I modified almost all my airboxes from my cars and when I took the std intake pipe away and fitted a bigger one and placed it so that cold air would rush in, the intake sound was always louder than std :blink:

When I open my window (my R27) and accelerate in 2nd, 3nd and 4th with the gas pushed hummm 1/2 at least (it's more of a rpm based experience so doesn't really matter in which gear) I hear a deep intake sound around 2000-2700rpm and then it vanishes - the funny part is that when you don't accelerate enough it doesn't do it. So my thought was that this isn't an acoustic valve but more of a "extra" intake. The idea was that as you drive slower and on lower revs there is not so much air pressure in the primary intake pipe as air isn't pushed throu the grill in the pipe because of the lack of speed and when you pust the throttle to a point the valve opens and the engine gets precious air so it can accelerate better at lower revs. As the revs rise so does the speed and air pressure builds up in the main pipe so the extra pipe can be closed so no hot air gets in.

Just a thought ;/

The intake of the Clio reminds me of the BMC CDA system with the pipe you fit in the front bumper. Been reading some info from users of it and almost everyone complains about a small lack of power at small speed as the air is feed to the engine by only a small pipe and there is not enough speed to force the air in. The intake of the Clio is the same sort. A pipe that draws air from the grill. So maybe with that "extra" intake pipe Renault only wanted to solve this "problem".

Thinking loud again ;/

not so sure on the valve arrangement

its permanently open and is closed by vacuum off the inlet manifold controlled by a valve which in turn is via the engine ecu

had a vacuum guage on the pipe on mine and it didnt do anything :001_rolleyes:

the engine conforms to euro4 emission regs and i wonder if its something to do with drive-by noise regs

mine is permanently closed now and to be honest there is no "bad" effects so far

had a vacuum guage on the pipe on mine and it didnt do anything :001_rolleyes:

Have you tried it in such a way that there is load on the engine? Not just revving it up and down while it's standing.

Dunno about the noise regulation hmmm

Have you tried it in such a way that there is load on the engine? Not just revving it up and down while it's standing.

Dunno about the noise regulation hmmm

not had chance yet - but will be giving it a go hopefully soon - be interesting to see when it works - that is "closes"

...I assume the circular disc is the valve....what is the narrow pipe for...where does it go.....if the valve and the narrow pipe were removed leaving just an open ended pipe would this cause problems for the air filter or would it just improve the induction noise....

its the whole bit at the end of the red pipe - two 10mm nuts hold it in place - you can either remove it and leave the vacuum pipe and wiring connected and cable tie out of the way - or just use a self tapper screw to keep the inlet flat permanently shut :thumbup1:

its the whole bit at the end of the red pipe - two 10mm nuts hold it in place - you can either remove it and leave the vacuum pipe and wiring connected and cable tie out of the way - or just use a self tapper screw to keep the inlet flat permanently shut :thumbup1:

..cool....will try later....I've noticed that the cool weather has made a subtle difference to the induction note....is this because the ECM is shutting the valve till the engine warms up?

i noticed something on that valve, anyone seem the numbers with arrows (there on the left hand side of the valve)???
any ideas what they're for?? are they pressure levels or timings? (should i know??? :s)
DSC_0029.jpg

My guess would be that the valve is there as a hot air feed from the engine bay.. can close when the engine is warm enough to get maximum power via teh cold feed from the grill? ?

As for the numbers and arrows they look like a manfacturing date stamp... one for month one for yr?

if u keep this valve open wont it benifit from more air?? or could u not get another cold air feed down to the grill??

if u keep this valve open wont it benifit from more air?? or could u not get another cold air feed down to the grill??

It won't benifit cause it will draw hot air from inside the engine bay. If you can do a cold air feed it would surely be better but you can't get a pipe to the "second" grill cause you would have to cut a bit of the slam-panel and the coolant tank is in the way etc. think if you have xenons then there is no room on the other side for a feed either :blink:

Last edited:
It won't benifit cause it will draw hot air from inside the engine bay. If you can do a cold air feed it would surely be better but you can't get a pipe to the "second" grill cause you would have to cut a bit of the slam-panel and the coolant tank is in the way etc. think if you have xenons then there is no room on the other side for a feed either :blink:

...bonnet scoop....recent thread about this....why can't Renault do this as standard???