A/C condenser woes...

Afternoon All,

Just checked in the 197 at the garage for an MOT and tried to take advantage of the cheap A/C re-gas on offer (kwik-fit). She got through the MOT with no problems, but after a diagnostic (using fluorescent liquid) I've been told I have a hole in my condenser (Doh!), they quoted around £450 for the repair including a re-gas.

The thing is, I've found a Valeo condenser for £121.20, and I'm wondering how hard it would be to swap it out myself?

I presume that the system is de-pressurised as it has a leak, and as the condenser is in front of the radiator I imagine I'd have pretty good access if it whipped off the front bumper?

Has anyone done this? Any tips or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: just found this...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/_eAGU4JcoO-I/TXfoHFA2ZHI/AAAAAAAABOg/2I76FD3xPCA/s800/DSC05002.JPG

Thanks to the owner of this ultra red. Remove that brace, then unbolt the condenser?

Last edited:
Renault book time is about 5 hrs to do and you have to take the front end off to do it. Also make sure it's not part of the coolant rad some are and some aren't.

Yeh, the garage told me that the condenser could be part of the radiator, but if they can be bought separately it must be some sort of frame work that holds the two together?

I need a new front bumper and undertray so I'll buy and fit those first and then see what the condenser looks like when it's all off.

Yes some can bought separately but they are normally for the later 200's. Also front bumpers for the 200 have no date from Renault at the moment.