New aircon condenser

When I bought my 197, the aircon was not blowing cold. A quick Regas later and it was blowing cold!

Roll forward to the really hot day we had a few weeks ago, I got in the car, hit the aircon, only to be blown in the face by hot air!

i have taken the car back up there today and they have diagnosed it with a hole in the condenser and have been quoted £363.16 to replace it with the condenser being £172.63 of that.

does this sound reasonable? I've looked on eurocarparts and they stock a load of condensers which all apparently fit the 197. Has anyone bought one or know of any good garages in the Kent area?

Condenser or compressor ? condenser is just a like a radiator seems steep to me! I sure you could get it fixed dependant on where the hole is. My air con packed up after a track day, I'm not bothering with it I would prefer it wasn't there! I bet it adds so much to the weight and the bhp will be down too!

Seems a bit naughty they regassed it without checking for leaks first!! it should run at 2 bar as I remember anything less and is may be a leak somewhere. Good luck but just watch some garages they'll rip you off!

Just had a thought there is a pressure switch on the air con circuit which stops the compressor clutch working with no gas/liquid in the compressor to protect it from seizing. If your air is 'working' ie can you hear the compressor cutting in and out then there's something else up with it, it wouldn't work other wise. Just try it later, with car running get in push the aircon listen to see if the compressor cuts in if it does then there gas in the system. Therefore the fault is somewhere else!

If you buy a OBD diag tool you can see the air con pressure there is a transmitter that reads this all the time!

Cheers Dave

Get a refurbed compressor off ebay for £110. Remove front bumper, slacken off the aux belt, replace compressor. Really simple job - 1.5 hours max for a novice like me. The Aircon is known to be rubbish in these things.

Get a refurbed compressor off ebay for £110. Remove front bumper, slacken off the aux belt, replace compressor. Really simple job - 1.5 hours max for a novice like me. The Aircon is known to be rubbish in these things.

He doesn't need to fix the compressor! He's been told it's the condensor, that's the radiator like part at the front of the car. I had to replace mine on the S40 last year. It's unlikely you can repair it, a replacement is the best option. It coul dhave a large stone chip or it could be corroded and full of pin sized holes like mine was.

I've not changed one on a 197 but on the S40 it was a fairly big job, took about 2 - 3 hours and involved bumper removal etc. I don't think the cost they've quoted is that bad really but the part can probably be had for less, unless you can get the part cheaper yourself and tackle it at home?

When I did mine I took the car to a local tyre place, got them to vacuum the system to remove all the old refridgerant. Took the car home, changed the part then took it back to be regassed. Cost me a saturday and about £125 in total (£90 for the part, £35 to regas)

I can only see one on ECP @ £159.42 so the part cost might not be too bad. Then maybe 3 hours labour at £50 an hour and £45 to regas so it does add up.

He doesn't need to fix the compressor! He's been told it's the condensor, that's the radiator like part at the front of the car. I had to replace mine on the S40 last year. It's unlikely you can repair it, a replacement is the best option. It coul dhave a large stone chip or it could be corroded and full of pin sized holes like mine was.

I've not changed one on a 197 but on the S40 it was a fairly big job, took about 2 - 3 hours and involved bumper removal etc. I don't think the cost they've quoted is that bad really but the part can probably be had for less, unless you can get the part cheaper yourself and tackle it at home?

When I did mine I took the car to a local tyre place, got them to vacuum the system to remove all the old refridgerant. Took the car home, changed the part then took it back to be regassed. Cost me a saturday and about £125 in total (£90 for the part, £35 to regas)

I can only see one on ECP @ £159.42 so the part cost might not be too bad. Then maybe 3 hours labour at £50 an hour and £45 to regas so it does add up.

my mechanic ( snr master tech renault )

can do for £125 ish inc gas

pm if interested

Does he work for free Steve? He must get the parts for free if that's all he charges!

That's hella cheap!

Need mine doing and i have been quoted £430 [emoji20]

It'll be worth contacting Steve above if he can get it done for £125. I still can't see how it's possible personally but Steve know's his stuff!

Even if you have to spend £100 on fuel getting to him it's still a massive saving!

[MENTION=52978]jakeypoo[/MENTION] - Have you managed to get yours sorted yet?

I still can only see one condensor listed on Eurocarparts for the 197/200, so i'm not sure how you are getting a list of loads?

@Chrisgti6 I haven't sorted it yet, just looked on eurocarparts and I see the one, it was on eBay where I saw multiple items

just had another look and can't seem to get one for love nor money, gsf, eurocarparts or carparts4less have none in stock

Last edited: