200t making just 185 BHP on a dyno

I posted this on renaultsport.co.uk forum also, but i'd like to hear your opinion and advice too.

I will just post the same text here. Hope that's ok with the mods. Quite a lengthy post ahead, will post some answers also.

Hey guys, i've been on a dyno today. My 200t is completely stock. I'm kind of shocked about the dyno result. Best run was 185 BHP.

My car is april 2014, 40.000 km, dyno runs were in race mode, no other tweaks

Friends megane 250 did 256, completely stock, late 2010, about 80.000 km, so the dyno does not underrate the cars.

What can be the problem? Can someone help me please?

The guy that did the dyno said, that i should get the compression check and change the spark plugs.

Also this is an insteresting dynoresult (first number is stock, 160 bhp on wheels, which is not far off of mine): http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-KFO0NCG-7Fg/Vm_4HW_p9iI/AAAAAAAAGec/JX8MN6A0QnY/s1600/Renault+Clio+RS+200+EDC+downpipe+%28b%29.jpg

My torque was OK at 250 nm, stock is 240 nm.

If remaping the car should get it to about 230+ horsepower, that's 50 more than stock. Womble's clio does 244 if i'm correct, man that's 60 over.

Here are my dyno graphs:

Run 1:
5qRMtn8.jpg

Run 2:
BuxTJLa.jpg

Run 3:
BMSUyCA.jpg

1. The fan - it was about 2 metres infront of the car, not 100 mph by no means, it had about 80-90 cm across and blew quite a lot of air, but not 100 mph.

here's the fan size and position in front of the said megane250

JA3oWkU.jpg

2. Car ran for a few minutes to warm up properly, all the temps on my RS monitor were ok, intake temp between 23-26 degrees C. Air humidity was about 80%, 13 degrees C in the dyno room. We even opened the bonnet on the last two runs but the results were the same.

3. Fuel - no Vpower here in Slovenia, just super plus 100 octane fuel. Which is nothing special, basically the same as 98 octane fuel in other places (Austria, Italy, ...).

4. One pull was in 3rd gear, other in 4th. I think the graphs in a post above are all from 4th gear pulls.

5. Sound generator: i just found out, that the sound gets pumped into the cabin via air vents. How to block it off? Are there any guides?

6. No sensors were on the car, just a dyno day with some friends. He could do a full sensor analysis should I need one. So no boost data, nothing. This guy is quite knowledgeable about his business but too bad we didn't to a more thorough analysis. The rolling road itself were these huge rollers, it's supposed to handle 3500 bhp, it's 4 wheel drive capable and there can be a lot of sensors put on the car (boost, temperatures, whatnot).

What about the sparkplugs, should i change them? The car just did 40k km (25 k miles).

Should i try another dyno? I will not be doing another dyno just because, firstly i'll change the intake for a maxogen, maybe try with new spark plugs etc, most definitely i'll try with blocking the sound generator.

Thanks for your input, i'll try to post some new info along the way of getting more power from the car. The goal is to go above 230, there will be an RS Tuning remap (a guy here in Slovenia does them, even Paul was here a year or two ago, ...), i'll change the intake, maybe exhaust and IC. The latter if it'll be necessary, since i'll be doing some trackdays next year.

Another friend of mine said that i also should get the ignition timing checked. So - ignition timing, compression, spark plugs. For start.

Also some food for thought. I bought this car with 17.000 km on it. It was a bit less than 2 yrs old at that time. So about 8,5k km per year. It was also parked during both winters. When I first got it, it was quite muted, it did not pull well. That changed with time, because I was giving it a lot of spanking. Does anyone think that it might still be a bit muted because previous owned was really easy with it? Should I use some cleaning additives?

EDIT:

any opinion on this Recirculation Valve Kit from Forge? Should i do this mod too?

http://www.engine-dynamics.com/Products/Product.asp?departmentid=302&id=105670#

Edit2:

These two dyno graphs were also found:

[img=[URL]http://www.zerotohundred.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Final-Dyno-Results-Racechip.jpg]dyno1[/img][/URL]

[img=[URL]http://www.zerotohundred.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/Renault-Clio-RS-RCU_Exhaust.jpg]dyno2[/img][/URL]

Last edited:
So what I think i should do:

1. compression and ignition timing check.
2. change the spark plugs
3. sound generator pipe delete
4. forge valve
5. maxogen intake

Another dyno run.

6. remap

Does anyone of you have any other suggestions? Are all the steps above really necessary?

I cannot edit the first post anymore, so i'm posting links for the last two graphs here:

Final-Dyno-Results-Racechip.jpg

Renault-Clio-RS-RCU_Exhaust.jpg

Last edited:
No need for replacing the recirc valve, it is fine, better finding out if it is making the correct boost first. You can throw as much as you want at a car, but if it is not right before you start there is no point. The position of the fan is miles away, it needs to be right in front of the intercooler. You can actually get totally different results with just moving the fan. A proper dyno is in a room and the fan should be in front of the car, the air in the dyno cell is also sucked out of said room. A dyno like the one in the picture is fine for diagnosing problems but for actually maximising your cars performance you need a proper setup. Megane 250s normally run around the 265/270 mark standard as you mentioned this in another post. Without running an identical car on the same dyno on the same day, you maybe worrying for no reason. You say you have the Monitor option on the car. Why don't you engage launch control in Sport mode and do a launch to 100k and a 1/4 mile time, this will then tell us if anything is wrong. You can also monitor your boost on that and via the obd port and a mobile phone through a wifi reader.

873d4b43ea184bde744835a080007b96.jpg

You can see the sound generator blocked of in the picture above.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I did a 7.20 0-100 today, with cold and quite worn tyres, measured with GPS (speed logic lite app).

I'll do a 400m run as soon as possible.

Thanks womble!

I don't remember the time on the monitor and the car is parked now. i'll get the usb out tomorrow and check the time, hope 400m run is also on it.

Can you not do it on the monitor?

So I checked the log from RS monitor that's on my USB stick. 7s to 100, 400 metres in 15 seconds. If I compare that to zeperfs (http://www.zeperfs.com/) it's OK. Conditions yesterday were by no means OK for accelerations from a standing start, since it was cold and damp. So the results are generally ok.

EDIT:
I also checked previous logs since last february. Best few 0-100 are 6 seconds (no decimals in the logs), best 0-400 is 14s, just one, most of them are 15s.

Did you turn the a/c off? Lol!

Yes, I did - I turned off the ac with the dedicated button and then turned off the ventilation also.

Last edited:
When are sparkplugs scheduled to be changed? I see that on 2.0 mk3 RS a change was needed on every 36k miles.

What sparks should i use? Original Bosch or NGK?

Not going to lie, but as womble suggests and the fan is too far away, shouldn't a dyno company know where to position it, isn't that basic for someone who does dyno runs and remapping... Id be looking for another place if they get the basics wrong..

@Chris, thanks for your input. I'll be considering dynoing it again, but to be sure, I'll get compression and ignition timing checked. I'll be changing sparkplugs on my next service.

I'll get it checked non the less. Dyno'll follow before getting it remapped but after installing maxogen. Fiesta ST made 199 HP on this exact dyno. I don't really know what to think and where to go with this car.

Thanks everybody for your input, i'll be posting my progress here.

What should / do they normally put out as standard as a matter of interest ?

***The 197 / 200 MK3 designation - ALWAYS falling 10hp or more short of that in factory guise.

What should / do they normally put out as standard as a matter of interest ?

***The 197 / 200 MK3 designation - ALWAYS falling 10hp or more short of that in factory guise.

Seen a couple results pretty much spot on but not had mine dynod.

Yes it is but even RS tuning arn't immune to heatsoak on a dyno, I've known them to keep a mates Mazda MPS on the dyno so long struggling to map it correctly the paint on the bonnet began flaking!!
That's because they can't map MPS's, the last I heard they'd done a very bad job of some and left the engine ruined.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C200MOJO Spotted 0
Nickyandalanrs200 Clio 200T Area 2
PpAbarth Spotted 0
PpAbarth New Members 0
PpAbarth Clio 200T Area 1