200t launch control

Right... on the principle that you absolutely MUST pull every knob and twiddle every dial (so to speak) on a new car (well 2nd hand in my case). Now I've had the car a few days, I thought it was time to try the launch control. Not likely to want to make a habit of this, but it's got to be done.

There's a decent straight (though slightly up hill) just before my place, dead quiet (country road) and zero traffic most of the day.

Must admit to having some issues getting the sequence of controls right.

Procedure would appear:

1) Into manual mode.
2) select "race mode" (press and hold RS button). Says something like "traction control off".
4) Handbrake off, left foot on brake.
5) Pull both paddles together. Now it says "launch control"

Now I start to get confused.

Handbook says to depress accelerator pedal (does not say how much, or if you have to keep your foot on it).

Seems like if you depress fully to the floor (past kick down), you get a nice burble from the engine. Also looks like if you lift your right foot even slightly, it cancels "launch control". So assuming here you keep your right foot planted.

So I thought that I had got it right.

But on lifting my left foot off the brake. I just get MASSIVE wheel spin, start Kangaroo'ing up the road and go nowhere!!! Obviously abandoned the exercise pretty promptly at this point, as I was in danger of messing my pants.

From a couple of vids that I've seen (other than a bit of initial wheel spin) the launch to 60 looks quite smooth.

So question obviously for anyone out there with a 200t that's tried the launch control, is what am I doing wrong????

Right... on the principle that you absolutely MUST pull every knob and twiddle every dial (so to speak) on a new car (well 2nd hand in my case). Now I've had the car a few days, I thought it was time to try the launch control. Not likely to want to make a habit of this, but it's got to be done.

There's a decent straight (though slightly up hill) just before my place, dead quiet (country road) and zero traffic most of the day.

Must admit to having some issues getting the sequence of controls right.

Procedure would appear:

1) Into manual mode.
2) select "race mode" (press and hold RS button). Says something like "traction control off".
4) Handbrake off, left foot on brake.
5) Pull both paddles together. Now it says "launch control"

Now I start to get confused.

Handbook says to depress accelerator pedal (does not say how much, or if you have to keep your foot on it).

Seems like if you depress fully to the floor (past kick down), you get a nice burble from the engine. Also looks like if you lift your right foot even slightly, it cancels "launch control". So assuming here you keep your right foot planted.

So I thought that I had got it right.

But on lifting my left foot off the brake. I just get MASSIVE wheel spin, start Kangaroo'ing up the road and go nowhere!!! Obviously abandoned the exercise pretty promptly at this point, as I was in danger of messing my pants.

From a couple of vids that I've seen (other than a bit of initial wheel spin) the launch to 60 looks quite smooth.

So question obviously for anyone out there with a 200t that's tried the launch control, is what am I doing wrong????

leave it in sports mode for now (auto or manual mode) as traction can be a problem, pull the paddles back whilst you have your foot on the brake. When it says "launch control" on the dash floor the accelerator whilst on the brake, then get ready to hold on lol!

leave it in sports mode for now (auto or manual mode) as traction can be a problem, pull the paddles back whilst you have your foot on the brake. When it says "launch control" on the dash floor the accelerator whilst on the brake, then get ready to hold on lol!
I find auto the best to deal with torque steer and feel more in control

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciated.

Sounds like my problem was a combination of having it in manual and race mode (IE. no traction control).

I'll have another bash over the weekend.

Very much enjoying the car otherwise. Though I find that there can be a fair bit of torque steer when overtaking. Trick seems to be... open throttle up to close gap and start to pull out, then floor throttle (full kick down) to pass. Seems to minimize the torque steer this way. My problem is I suppose, is the only other cars I've owned with 200 BHP + have been three Scoobies and being 4-wheel drive, they put the power down a bit better. Be interested to ponder how much more effective (or otherwise) adding a full mechanical LSD would be. Though I suppose the limiting issue here, would be the cost.

Thanks for the replies guys. Appreciated.

Sounds like my problem was a combination of having it in manual and race mode (IE. no traction control).

I'll have another bash over the weekend.

Very much enjoying the car otherwise. Though I find that there can be a fair bit of torque steer when overtaking. Trick seems to be... open throttle up to close gap and start to pull out, then floor throttle (full kick down) to pass. Seems to minimize the torque steer this way. My problem is I suppose, is the only other cars I've owned with 200 BHP + have been three Scoobies and being 4-wheel drive, they put the power down a bit better. Be interested to ponder how much more effective (or otherwise) adding a full mechanical LSD would be. Though I suppose the limiting issue here, would be the cost.
You'll get used to the torque.. just 2 hands on the wheels and foot into the floor :smile:

How many miles has your car done? Don't think you can use launch control in the first 1k? Just a thought...

You'll get used to the torque.. just 2 hands on the wheels and foot into the floor :smile:

How many miles has your car done? Don't think you can use launch control in the first 1k? Just a thought...

I know someone who launched theirs 3 times as soon as it got off the transporter!

Had another go the other day and once you know how to do it correctly (sport mode and auto), brings a smile to your face :smile::smile::smile:

A gimmick, maybe, but still fun once in a while. Must admit that so far, it's one of first things folks seem to ask about when they see the car.

Had another go the other day and once you know how to do it correctly (sport mode and auto), brings a smile to your face :smile::smile::smile:

A gimmick, maybe, but still fun once in a while. Must admit that so far, it's one of first things folks seem to ask about when they see the car.

You what!?

Its Race mode and manual!?!?

You what!?

Either way works, sport and auto for better traction.
i actually find with mine remapped that race mode and giving it the beans has a better result than launch control, which seems to spin up in 1st and 2nd.

Who remapped yours? What power are your seeing, out of curiosity? Standard apart from a map?

Either way works, sport and auto for better traction.
i actually find with mine remapped that race mode and giving it the beans has a better result than launch control, which seems to spin up in 1st and 2nd.
Ah okay, didn't know that.

Mine will also be mapped next Thursday so will keep that in mind and give it a try :smile:

You what!?

As per post #2

Leave it in sport mode, otherwise I find that you just get massive wheel spin (IE. no traction control). You can use manual I suppose, but you might as well let the electronics do the whole thing (IE. leave in auto).

mmm still dubious about remapping it that high 220-ish would be safer. I'll await long term testing feedback (after a year's use)

244 is a massive increase! Awesome.

Is that just from a stage 1 map?

Are you still on a standard exhaust, cats in place, standard air filter etc?

Is the standard intercooler up to the job? I'd have thought the car would suffer with heat quickly otherwise.

244 is a massive increase! Awesome.

Is that just from a stage 1 map?

Are you still on a standard exhaust, cats in place, standard air filter etc?

Is the standard intercooler up to the job? I'd have thought the car would suffer with heat quickly otherwise.

All standard barring the chip, 8 months and all seems fine touch wood, the most impressive thing for me is the torque gain from 240 nm to 311 nm. Transforms the car into another league, absolute weapon point to point within the legal speed limits of course.
Toying with an exhaust, hoping akrapovic will bring an exhaust out, if I could get anything to sound like the monza exhaust on my old Abarth 500 I'd have my perfect car.

Similar Thread Suggestions

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C200MOJO Spotted 0
Nickyandalanrs200 Clio 200T Area 2
PpAbarth Spotted 0
PpAbarth New Members 0
PpAbarth Clio 200T Area 1