200RS Brakes

Hi guys need some advise from you I've had my Clio 200 for a couple of weeks its a 61 plate done 12000 miles and i'm finding the brakes to be crap the other day i was giving it some stick coming up to a circle and i didn't think i was going to stop the brakes feel very soft. So i took it into my local dealer for them to check and the head Mechanic turned around and said its a typical Clio, this isn't my first Clio I've had a Clio 172 cup and the brakes were bad on them did i modded them. My son Clio imusic brakes are better than mine, How is everyone else finding the brakes on the 200

:s Clearly a mechanic who has no idea about the RS model and the brakes, did he even clean / strip them? At that milage if it's not been done it probably could help, I do them maybe every 3-4k miles at most.

They should be nice and strong, with decent feel/pressure to the pedal.

If not given regular strips and cleans then the Calipers can seize slightly and cause poor performance.

:s Clearly a mechanic who has no idea about the RS model and the brakes, did he even clean / strip them? At that milage if it's not been done it probably could help, I do them maybe every 3-4k miles at most.

Beat me to it!!! :smiley:

No he took it for a run and came back and told the service manager his findings what gets me is that the car was not long serviced from that garage I feel like the brakes need bleeding they feel like a car with a set of brake drums on the back

I have been told to give the brakes a good thrashing every so often as they cam glaze over...

After ktec done this for me as I said they were abit soft. I could feel the difference

Where in the country are you Kendo? I'm sure if there's somebody local to you then they'd take you out so you could feel the difference. I know Litchy has been having issues with thinking his brakes aren't right and I took his car for a spin the other week and sh!t myself at the lack of stopping power and the lack of pedal feel...

If your car has been stood a while or only done short journeys or been driven softly then it might just need a good strip/clean and a good drive out. Worth a shot bleeding the brakes, but at only a year or so old the fluid should still be decent unless somebody has boiled it in the past. For what it costs to change, it might be worth doing.

Where in the country are you Kendo? I'm sure if there's somebody local to you then they'd take you out so you could feel the difference. I know Litchy has been having issues with thinking his brakes aren't right and I took his car for a spin the other week and sh!t myself at the lack of stopping power and the lack of pedal feel...

If your car has been stood a while or only done short journeys or been driven softly then it might just need a good strip/clean and a good drive out. Worth a shot bleeding the brakes, but at only a year or so old the fluid should still be decent unless somebody has boiled it in the past. For what it costs to change, it might be worth doing.

I'm up in Dundee Scotland I let one of my mates have a shot of the car he's got his own garage and he wasn't impressed with the brakes and told me to take it back to the garage and get them to look at them I'm the second owner of the car so I don't know how the car was treated before hand

There's a few 197/200 owners out your way, have a look in the Scotland section and I'm sure somebody will help you out.

Like MD said above, if they've had a lot of gentle use then they will need a good few heat cycles and a bit of hard use to get them back into condition. I can't see it being anything serious on a car as new as yours. If you've a nice quiet road near you then try four or five 70MPH-30MPH slow-downs with about half pressure on the pedal. Let the brakes cool off for 5-10 Mins and then repeat but with more pressure. That might just bring them back to life for you.

No he took it for a run and came back and told the service manager his findings what gets me is that the car was not long serviced from that garage I feel like the brakes need bleeding they feel like a car with a set of brake drums on the back

the only brake service is at 4yrs for the brake fluid change apart from that they are not touched until worn out....

a yearly strip/clean/lube/rebuild is enough to keep them in tip top condition!!

having said all this it doesnt mean that perhaps yours has got a soft pedal due to air in the system...

have you with the engine switched off pumped the pedal until it goes hard?
if you continue pumping does the travel of the pedal improve/get harder? if so then this is usually air in the system...if you know what your doing its easy to eliminate certain items :thumbsup:

the only brake service is at 4yrs for the brake fluid change apart from that they are not touched until worn out....

a yearly strip/clean/lube/rebuild is enough to keep them in tip top condition!!

having said all this it doesnt mean that perhaps yours has got a soft pedal due to air in the system...

have you with the engine switched off pumped the pedal until it goes hard?
if you continue pumping does the travel of the pedal improve/get harder? if so then this is usually air in the system...if you know what your doing its easy to eliminate certain items :thumbsup:
The car is going into the Garage at the end of the week to have the brakes stripped and cleaned under warranty hopefully that will solve the problem will let you know how it gets on

Check the state of the Pins once you get the car back, if they're bent or look damaged then insist on having them put new ones in... The chances are that they'll have to replace them anyway so it shouldn't really be an issuem but keep a keen eye out. See if they'll change the fluid for you too whilst it's in for peace of mind... You don't get if you don't ask!!! :smile:

Got the car tonight after being in the Garage all day to be told that it has to go back in on Wednesday to fit new pins they have to wait on them coming in was told they couldn't find anything wrong with the brakes will see the service manager on Wednesday to find out what was done

How've you got the car back if there's no pins in it!?! Or have they put damaged pins back in!?! The pins hold the pads in so are pretty important...

How've you got the car back if there's no pins in it!?! Or have they put damaged pins back in!?! The pins hold the pads in so are pretty important...

Just had a look and it looks to me as if they have done nothing to my brakes the pins don't look like they have been touched to much dust around the pins not happy. Will be having words with them on Wednesday Arnold Shark at there best

Ah, could be that they've not touched it then because they didn't have the parts. That'd make sense.

Could well be the case but you would have thought they would have do the back ones they don't look like they have been touched so they had my car old day and never done anything apart from wash and vacuum the car

I would ignore the dealer, and put your hand in your pocket and spend some money.

new fluid and pads as a minimum, then better discs if you want to really splash.

Although I have spent some money on mine, they are literally amazing. All down to disc, pad and fluid choice, as the brembo calipers are a decent bit of kit!