200, worth the extra money?

Hey all,

Just wanted an opinion from everyone.

I'm in the market for a white 197 FF. Is it worth spending the extra money and buying a 200?

Some advice/reasons would be nice :smile:

:thumbup:

I would consider the aesthetics of the vehicle, too. As the nose is different between the 197 & 200, and some other minor details.

What is it you're really interested in about the cars? What's more important, budget, warranty etc?

I was faced with this choice before Christmas.

I drove a Gordini 200 and a 197 and chose the 197...

What sold it for me was that the 200 didn't feel any faster or sharper. Additionally, it wasn't as throaty and in my opinion wasn't as good looking...

The 200 I would have bought wasn't a Gordini - it was just an Alien Green 200.

Although Alien Green, in my opinion, was the perfect colour the price difference was almost 8k and I couldn't really justify it when the drive was identical.

I love my 197 and don't regret it in the slightest...

The white 197 FF is a stunning car. Add in the darker cup pack wheels, red brembo's and dark tinted glass at the back and sides and it looks outstanding.
I prefer the front end of the 197 but the back of the 200.
I found it hard to get a white 197 FF with what I wanted on it as most are cup versions so be prepared for a good hunt about.
The 200 is a stunning car as well so it's a hard choice.
Best of luck if you go for a 197 or 200, you will no be disappointed.

How many awards did the 197 win? None? Compared to the 200 it's night and day.

AG 200 FTW!

I own a R27 at the minute, but if I were looking to buy now I think I would probably go for a 200. They can be had for really decent money, why buy older when you could have the new shape? Unless you prefer the front end of the 197 of course - original is usually best :wink:

Apparently the performance difference is minimal.

Drove a black 197 at work and fell in love with it. So i'll probably go for that, stick to what I know.

I have owned both and whilst there is only a slight improvment, combined together it makes it much better.

197 v 200 is a very well troddened road. Drove both minimal difference but the small things the I hate with 197 have been improved in 200. Whether it justifies the extra money is down to the buyer. We are all a little biased towards our own cars. I love my LY F1 and for the money, they are stunning cars.

Def worth looking if the price is right. Already been said, but small things add up. If it were me, LY 200 with recaros, cup pack and speedlines. Cant go wrong and will be sought after in the future. If not by anyone other than me.

I have a similar dilemma *Hijack mode activated*

I've been lucky enough to own a lot of performance cars and I adore my 197 (even though it doesn't have a cup chassis). I know my car well and enjoy every journey in it. For me it's getting a little long in the tooth (56 plate) but other than that I have no reason to change it.

But.......my head has been turned by the 200. I like the back end better, I like the wheel design and whilst I'm not a massive fan of the front end I think it looks *newer*

The interior is basically the same, the economy is give and take and yes, the low down shove is a little better. I test drove one last weekend (FF cup) and the faster rack and chassis gave it tenacious front end grip and turn in. The exhaust note was different but I still enjoyed it and as said, the interior is much of a muchness.

Now, I'm really struggling. I'd like it, but cost to change is around £7K. I can afford it fine but I have a feeling all I’d be doing is lessening the gap in money the next time I go for a new car, not that i'd be getting a 'new car' - if you see what I mean?

Has anyone made the jump and not looked back - or conversely has anyone made the jump and regretted it?

All feedback would be much appreciated! The car I'm thinking about can be found here:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201152438525426/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-from/12000/model/clio/make/renault/quicksearch/true/postcode/dd36nq/radius/60/page/1?logcode=p

Just change 197 Cup for 200 FF.

To early to say if its better. I think most of the differece is FF from Cup.

Like said before Back looks much better. Front looks a little worse.