200/197 vs 182 Trophy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTTI-aMKn60

I've just seen this amazing video and immediately fall in love with this 182 trophy version. Being a 200 Gordini owner, I don't think in terms of practicality, looks etc the 182 trophy is a match for the mk3 RS, but what in terms of speed? I've read somewhere that this trophy version was faster 0-60 than a 197, which is kind of weird, but can be possible due to carrying less weight.

In addition, it is extremely rare, with only 500 being built to Europe and 50 to Switzerland.

I think my Gordini is having a cousin sooner or later... :-p

evo-trophuy.jpg

It's such a good video that one.

I owned a Trophy 6 months after they came out for 2 years and much of the reason for that was EVO's (and Harry's) praise...anyone who owns a Zonda yet still a 182 Trophy shows it's pretty good and it really was. I knew about Clio RS's as my brother had a 172 Cup and a friend had a 182 so I knew with this being the best of the bunch I would be impressed and I had to have one. They did go so well and getting to a track day and clicking the dampers right up was always good fun because you could really tell the difference, especially over the normal 182's too. It was always going to be a classic!

How do they compare with the newer models? IMO they didn't quite get the original 197 right so other than being a nicer place to sit it wasn't ever as eager or as capable as the Trophy. However, I drove the 197 Cup at Spa during an RS trackday and it felt better than my trophy in terms of outright speed and capability, the 200 was an improvement again and felt more capable but not necessarily faster. In a straight line they are all basically equal and the 200 was the best of that series all around but pure driving pleasure you really do notice something else in the Trophy, and i've driven them all...172 Cup, 182 Cup and FF, 182 Trophy, 197, 197 Cup, 200 and 200T...(which is not worth comparing).

I'm not sure how it would feel now exactly because it's been so long but I know enough that every time I see a Trophy I try and catch the owner to talk or look all around it, always puts a smile on my face when I see one and I always give the thumbs up. I'd love to drive another and almost bought another but it wouldn't be mine...number 313 and I had a nice little plate to go on it too :smile:

a-1.jpg

Touris_04-05-08_439.jpg

Im in a Trophy at the moment but its not all positives; the rattles and squeaks of the Mk2 interior are often overlooked but as a daily drive these begin to grate. I've gone full circle in a sense, 172 > 200 Cup > 250 Cup > 182 Trophy.

Im in a Trophy at the moment but its not all positives; the rattles and squeaks of the Mk2 interior are often overlooked but as a daily drive these begin to grate. I've gone full circle in a sense, 172 > 200 Cup > 250 Cup > 182 Trophy.

Yeah I figured, kind of my reasoning when I said i'm not sure how they would feel now. Hard to come back from a 250 Cup I bet, but I bet it still gives a great drive.

I absolutely hate rattles and squeaks but funnily enough the two Renaults I've owned have had the least amount. Every day in my MR2 Roadster there was a new one. The R27 never had any and now my Ph1 is, unbelievably, rattle free. Not bad for a 14 year old Frenchie. I must have been lucky!