197/200 engine into 172/182

Brendan C

Paid Member
Hi all,
I am 100% sure this has been discussed at some other point - but I just can’t see a definitive answer. Regardless of cost ... can it be done? And, what’s required to make it possible?

My situation is... I have a very low mileage (perfect) clio3 rs200 engine and gearbox (that will be left over from my 225 engine swap). I also have a tired little 172 track day car that is certainly past it best (has a good box though) and I’m saying to myself ...can this new heart be shoehorned into it?

In an attempt to keep this thread short:
Please, please, please... I am not looking for opinions from anyone who is not technically minded or has no experience.
I’m really just looking from advise from member that have done it or those that have tried and failed for whatever reason or can put me in touch with the right individuals.

Many thanks,

Whilst I appreciate this isn’t 172 / 182 related someone has put it in a twingo and the two share the shame chassis!

Yes but from what ive read it's not straightforward. Physically the engine and gearbox fit straight in but you'll need custom driveshafts and also the gear linkage will need looked at.
In terms of ecu, you can run the 172 ecu but will need to change the dephaser and solenoid to a 172 one as they're different (172 runs on or off whereas 197/200 is variable). Unsure about other engine sensors as tbh wiring is not my thing.
Obviously you'll need an exhaust made too.