197 VVT system

Hi,

I'm in the process of finding a 197 to buy and found a low mileage example.

The problem being the owner has said they have never driven it over 5k rpm (!) which I believe is where the VVT system kicks in. The car is 5+ years old so I'm a little worried - there is much scope for things to blow up?!?!

Thanks,
Rich

Im sure hes just saying that to make you think the cars been driven gentley, no one buys a 197 to potter about in really?

The VVT actually comes in around 2.5k but changes again at 5.5k I believe. I wouldn't be worried about it though.

Shldnt worry about it tbh, wld be nothing wrong with the internals, just the ecu wld of learnt that the owners a slow fart, so it doest break a sweet. Just disconnect the battery for 5-10 mins and give it a gd blast. Atleast u know the gearbox shld be in fair gd nick not being rammed into gear at full load!

As others have said the VVT doesnt "kick in" at 5.5K, its at that rpm things get really efficent. The VVT is working from 2.5k and steadily changes to about 6.5k iirc

I bet it's only had ''one careful owner'' too hasn't it!?! :smiley: If he seems genuine, then bonus, you've got a Clio that's never been worked. Just make sure you give it a good seeing too like Russell said to reset everything and blow the cobwebs out. Maybe even give it an oil change if it's not been done recently.