197 Pro's and Con's

Hi guys.

Posted a simular thread on C/S but I'm interested to know what you guys (actual owners) think the pro's and con's of a 197 are?

I'm looking at getting one in the next two months and I want to know everything to look out for to spot a dog.

Also things I should consider that the 197 has for and against it before becoming an owner?

I'm after a F1 197 R27. Nom nom!

Scott.

Seen your thread over on CS.net.

Just the same things really.

1. When you test drive ensure that you "give it the beans" throughout the gears as some boxes can be problematic.

2. Check for wear on the Recaro seat bolsters.

3. If its an R27 you wont quite have to check for belts being changed as they aint that old yet. Early R27s will be next year though.

4. Some 197s suffered from cracks in their exhaust manifolds. Just something to check out.

Other than that their aint many issues with them tbh. Perhaps it might "feel" a tad slower than your current 172 just due to weight?

Welcome to the forums! From my experience over the last year and a half I would say

Pros:
You won't find a better handling car in this price bracket
Great fun
Very reliable
Seats hug you so well (Standard and recaros)
Looks good
You feel smug driving past fiesta ST and corsa VXR drivers knowing you have a better car
Great owners club which is so far immune to chavs! (Try saying that about fiesta ST and corsa vxr clubs)

Cons:
Not the most economical (Expect to average between 25 and 30mpg but on a 60mph cruise you can average ~42mpg)
Recaro seats can wear on the bolsters
Interior starts to rattle a bit when it gets older
Not much around for tuning
Can be difficult to drive when cold, however a remap makes this much better

They're the ones that come to the top of my head, overall I would say the cons are all minor points and therefore pro's massively outweigh them. I'm normall starting to get bored of a car after a year but I'm still massively in love with the clio!

hi Scott welcome to the site
you are probably buying the best little hot hatch on the road

expensive to run(but who cares)

Depending on your age/circumstances, it can be expensive to insure. It's a group 15 i think? Bit on the juicy side, but if you don't thrash it, works out not too bad.

But massively great to drive.

They are an awesome looking great handling car, and relatively reliable but lower capacity turbo motors and avg sized turbo diesels will certainly have more out right performance. Do you want to perform on the straights or the roundabouts?

Performance isn't a massive one for me. Otherwise I'd just keep my 172 Cup and stick some ITB'S in it.

I just want a standard, good looking car that goes well.

Thanks for all the input so far guys. I think I have my mind made up. I just want to know things that I maybe haven't thought of yet.

Scott.

22.8 average driving? Wow that's bad, I thrash mine ALOT and get about 28-29 most of the time and I've seen as high as 40 on a cruise!
Test drive it, an thrash the he'll out of it as noddie says to check the gearbox, other than that there pretty sound mechanical wise, it's just wear and tear issues that these suffer from, such as wearing bolsters, steering wheel melt(mine was atrocious), flaking alloys, weather strips on door pillars and a few more, but nothin that can't be resolved.

Also door alignment can be a bit of a bitch sometimes, my door is out abit and it's annoying hell out of me, will get it sorted when I get back from holiday!

Welcome to the forums! From my experience over the last year and a half I would say

Pros:
You won't find a better handling car in this price bracket
Great fun
Very reliable
Seats hug you so well (Standard and recaros)
Looks good
You feel smug driving past fiesta ST and corsa VXR drivers knowing you have a better car
Great owners club which is so far immune to chavs! (Try saying that about fiesta ST and corsa vxr clubs)

Cons:
Not the most economical (Expect to average between 25 and 30mpg but on a 60mph cruise you can average ~42mpg)
Recaro seats can wear on the bolsters
Interior starts to rattle a bit when it gets older
Not much around for tuning
Can be difficult to drive when cold, however a remap makes this much better

They're the ones that come to the top of my head, overall I would say the cons are all minor points and therefore pro's massively outweigh them. I'm normall starting to get bored of a car after a year but I'm still massively in love with the clio!

Completely agree with the points above. :thumbup:

Good points made above I would say. 182michael, if you are getting that low mpg with average driving I would either ask someone to go in the car with you and see if they would call it average driving, or get it booked in somewhere for someone to have a look at how the car is running, that sounds excessive at the worst of times tbh.

Most people say I'm a fast driver and I don't think I've ever had an average of less than 28mpg. I guess how you drive fast makes a difference though, normal driving I'd rarely go above 5krpm but just drive on the torque

Pro

Its not a 200

:wink:

Excellent point :wink:

Someone said about the interior being abit rattley, in mine you do get the odd rattle from time to time but doesnt seem to be that bad tbh. Certainly nothing compared to my old Saxo.

Another Pro about the 197 is that when you think about it or when i do anyway you really dont see many of them about. Its like the 106 gti in that sense, pretty rare imo.

Fuel bills are crippling and alot of people struggle with insuring them too.

Gearboxes are weak, a must check.

I am only one who thinks 6 gear ratio is stupid? When cruising motorway nearly 4000rpm!..
My old bmw E46 had something like 2700rpm and took lot less of petrol but had more power?

Dont get the whole fuel thing with regards to the Mk3. Its no different to an EP3, yet they never get panned for it?

I average 30, thats fine for a 2L NA engine imo