172 or 206 GTI?

I fancy a new daily, something with abit more punch than the 1.4 Clio.

After much debate and convincing with the misses I've been green lit and permitted a maximum budget of £2000.

I've looked into many different motors ( laguna V6 lmao! ) and finally narrowed it down to either a Clio 172 in flamer red or monaco blue because I know these cars well, have a garage full of spares, have excellent handling from standard and they are generally reliable...!

But just as I know these so well I am a little bored of them so was thinking of a 206 Gti 180. They look sporty but suttle, have fantastic bucket seats as standard and you can get alot of motor for little money here, really cheap ATM. Never driven one though and dont know how well they hold up.

What's the beat choice? Thanks.

I've always been a Pug fan personally (306's mainly) I've had an S16, GTI-6 and a d-turbo run about. However, I test drove a GTI 180 a few years back (and a 207 GTI before buying my current car)

They seem to have lost there way a bit witht he 206 and 207 I think, too soft, not great handling, and not as quick as perhaps they should be (and personally I think they are ugly, but that's just my opinion)

If it was my money, i'd buy a decent 306 GTI-6 or Rallye , but out of the choices you've listed i'd go with the 172.

What about a 172 cup lol? Some of them are well within my budget? Never driven a cup anyone got experiences?

The only thing I know about 172 Cup ownership is that insurance can be a pain in the arse due to them having no ABS.

They're meant to be cracking little cars though.

go for the 172, much better of the two, and plus, make u feel more at home on chavsport, opps, sorry i mean cliosport

id say clio 172 cup if ure not that fussed on lots of electrics etc? would be a much better blast down b roads etc imo. decent on petrol to from what ive heard