06 Albi Blue 197

Where did you get the plates from btw? Have you put up any info about the mud flaps I can have a look at in your thread, I've had a quick look but couldn't find anything?

Love the pics. You keeping the thicker ARB or going back to standard?

Thanks, reckon I will go back to standard. Need to establish if the manifold is still blowing first as if any more work is needed there then I will change the ARB at the same time.

Fantastic! Car looks great, some great pictures. Think I might actually try and make some mud flaps for the front of mine this winter.

Cheers, if you want a template for the flaps, let me know.

thats my mates 306 following you did you see the other 306 when he blew his r888 of the rim.

I didn't, did it do much damage? There were lots of track closures today, annoying for me but much more upsetting for the poor buggers who damaged their cars.

Great video for watching you drive mate, couldn't have been any better really. The Hyundai made me laugh at the end! Lol!

Couple of things I forgot to mention previously, firstly one ill effect of the mileage seems to be a gearbox that while nice to use when driving gently, gets uncooperative when down changing and pressing on. A few solutions have been suggested, including replacing the gear lever cables, clutch slave cylinder and the gearbox. I have a spare 'box from a much lower mileage car so may fit that in the near future - of course if we are going to do that we might as well also replace the clutch and slave, which sounds like more expense.

On the subject of expense, my rattle finding mission on Saturday morning identified that I have a blow from one of my flexi pipes, which will necessitate removal of the manifold, dropping the subframe, etc. again. What was especially annoying is that the starter motor heat shield was slightly loose and I spent over an hour with my arms stretched up behind the engine fannying around removing and refitting this for it to make no difference whatsoever.

The bad news is that a new manifold is £750+VAT. I could get a custom manifold made for around £600+VAT but the benefit would be limited as the standard 4-2-1 is already pretty efficient. With this in mind I have bought another manifold with damaged flexis which I will get replaced before fitting to my car.

At the same time as changing the manifold we will swap the ARB back to standard, and may think about swapping the 'box, etc.

On the subject of the manifold the faults are interesting, someone more knowledgeable than me might understand the reasoning, but the faults both the cracking at the flange and the failed flexi both involve the middle two pipes. According to the garage the flange cracking appeared to relate to the middle pipes twisting rather than the up/down or back/forth motion of worn engine mounts. I think the two flexis sit next to each other so one would have thought the leverage against the flange would be the same. Odd in any case and the commonality of the fault is concerning. I know of at least one owner with a car outside of the warranty period who had a strong goodwill contribution from Renault, but his car had done far fewer miles than mine, and my servicing has been done by an independent garage rather than a franchised dealer.

thought of having a word with "tony law" exhaust in leeds/stourton?

perhaps they could strengthen or modify the manifold to reduce the stresses?

That was where the £600+VAT came from. Might be worth my popping in there though, with the manifold.

i would - over the years they have had some right stuff in the yard - used to always go past on road test to have nosey!!

Ok, spare manifold is in progress, bought two new Bosal flexi pipes to replace the broken one, and am replacing the other as it has probably been strained due to excess movement due to a lack of support from the broken one.

New clutch and slave should be arriving today, fully syn gearbox oil for the replacement gearbox should arrive over the next few days.

So the works proposed are;

Replace manifold with repaired item due to damaged flexi
Remove X85 Cup anti-roll bar and replace original
Replace gearbox with low mileage TL4024
Replace clutch and slave with new standard parts

The car sounds pretty rough at the moment due to the damaged flexi, so I am looking forward to dropping it off at the garage.

probably be easier to change the manifold whilst the gearbox is out - should be a bit more room to jiggle it out :001_rolleyes:

who is doing the manifold repair?

are they going to "strengthen" the flange/primary welded areas?

I have had the spare box for a while but wasn't brave enough to get it fitted, based on my experiences of the last TD though it should be a good move. I figured if we had to drop the subframe for the manifold then it was an ideal opportunity. Having spent a good hour messing with the starter motor heat shield a couple of Saturdays ago, I know how little room there is up there so anything that makes it easier is a good thing!

The techs at my parents garage are doing it. I have asked that they give the flange welds a good course of looking at. I know one of the S/S manifolds that I had on my Puma had some reinforcements welded between the primarys and the flange.

Like this;

MilltekManifold001.jpg

Last edited: