V6 airbox fitted....

Not sure if I am going to describe this.well enough but...

The airbox looks to be in two parts, can you not split it in half and rotate the front section 180 degrees so that the feed is central in the engine bay!? I imagine that it is designed to just fit one way but it might be possible. You can then run a CAF from the usual grill or the lower grill.

Not sure if I am going to describe this.well enough but...

The airbox looks to be in two parts, can you not split it in half and rotate the front section 180 degrees so that the feed is central in the engine bay!? I imagine that it is designed to just fit one way but it might be possible. You can then run a CAF from the usual grill or the lower grill.

Good suggestion, only that the airbox has feet the sit in a plate. The concept your suggestion remains the same though, just going to relocate pipe so the feed is pointing towards caf from grill.

Paul (and others) thoughts on CAI?

Get some feeds from the front of the arch liner. Leave the end of the airbox open though, you don't want crap getting into it.

Its the same box used in the R3 so good for 230bhp.

Simo has no caf though and was runing 230bhp before a little mishap.

Get some feeds from the front of the arch liner. Leave the end of the airbox open though, you don't want crap getting into it.

Its the same box used in the R3 so good for 230bhp.

Simo has no caf though and was runing 230bhp before a little mishap.

So you wouldn't bother feeding air from the side of the airbox? I'm just wonder if its worth doing at all??? There is so mixed views on CAI, its untrue.....

The V6 Airbox has so many mixed reviews as well.

I must've spent about 5 hours over the last few months reading all sorts. People saying it's fantastic, people saying it's used on Cup Racers as a restrictor, people saying the ECU can't adjust and a you NEED a remap, people saying the standard setup is good for 230BHP, people saying the V6 setup is good for 230BHP, people saying the extra valve thing on the standard setup is useless, people saying that the extra valve thing helps and lets some warm air in to stop the engine detonating and the world ending...

MINEFIELD!!! :smiley:

I've still picked one up though, in fact, what I think I've got is an Espace V6 Airbox. It's cetainly bigger than the standard one and it's a slightly different shape to the Clio V6 version. I think it might actually sit better in the engine bay as the cold air feed for it is in a different place rather then right behind the headlight, there's only one way to find out though... I'll have a fiddle once it arrives and see how it looks.

Last edited:
The V6 Airbox has so many mixed reviews as well.

I must've spent about 5 hours over the last few months reading all sorts. People saying it's fantastic, people saying it's used on Cup Racers as a restrictor, people saying the ECU can't adjust and a you NEED a remap, people saying the standard setup is good for 230BHP, people saying the V6 setup is good for 230BHP, people saying the extra valve thing on the standard setup is useless, people saying that the extra valve thing helps and lets some warm air in to stop the engine detonating and the world ending...

MINEFIELD!!! :smiley:

I've still picked one up though, in fact, what I think I've got is an Espace V6 Airbox. It's cetainly bigger than the standard one and it's a slightly different shape to the Clio V6 version. I think it might actually sit better in the engine bay as the cold air feed for it is in a different place rather then right behind the headlight, there's only one way to find out though... I'll have a fiddle once it arrives and see how it looks.

Agree....and if it doesn't work, theres always the option to go back to standard. The conversion to date as cost me £150 (including race battery) and mate fitted battery in the boot for me....so another £20 on custom ally battery box, and £30 relocating pipe...£200 keeping me out the way of the wife is money well spent.

That's not bad at all £150. I've paid £10 for the Airbox and OEM Filter, just going to wing it with the inlet hose and see what I can come up with on the cheap... I can always change that to something better later if I decide to keep it that way. Battery-wise, I've been looking at caravan and motorbike batteries as they're also dry-cell but seem to be about a third of the price of dedicated ''Race'' batteries, just need to double check they're the right spec' first. :smile:

Would you say you've felt much difference over standard? I think I read you saying it felt slighlty quicker with the standard setup in place? No doubt that after you have it mapped it'll really show any differences. I'm also looking at going down the matched inlets route, I think the Clio is quick enough as it is but anything that helps airflow has got to be a good thing.

That's not bad at all £150. I've paid £10 for the Airbox and OEM Filter, just going to wing it with the inlet hose and see what I can come up with on the cheap... I can always change that to something better later if I decide to keep it that way. Battery-wise, I've been looking at caravan and motorbike batteries as they're also dry-cell but seem to be about a third of the price of dedicated ''Race'' batteries, just need to double check they're the right spec' first. :smile:

Would you say you've felt much difference over standard? I think I read you saying it felt slighlty quicker with the standard setup in place? No doubt that after you have it mapped it'll really show any differences. I'm also looking at going down the matched inlets route, I think the Clio is quick enough as it is but anything that helps airflow has got to be a good thing.

Its hard to say. Its like fitting an exhaust. Noise makes everything feel quicker...!!!! I'll have my inlets and induction hopefully fitted this week....then book it in for remap

Dragging a dead thread up but some more info would be great. Did anyone map this airbox in and prove gains were to be had from it?

Does anyone have the Renault part numbers for the airbox and induction hose?

What's the differences between the espace and Clio v6 airboxes, pictures would help?

Thanks.

Dragging a dead thread up but some more info would be great. Did anyone map this airbox in and prove gains were to be had from it?

Does anyone have the Renault part numbers for the airbox and induction hose?

What's the differences between the espace and Clio v6 airboxes, pictures would help?

Thanks.

Litchy is having his 197 mapped soon I believe. Simo might be the best person to get the part numbers off of. He knows them all.

The Espace one is a more rectangular. The holes are the same size for the piping and the filter is a little bigger than the standard 197 airbox. I'd say the Espace one is actually bigger in terms of interior volume than the V6 one. I've got one sat in my shed waiting for when I've got some spare time to have a fiddle. :smiley:

All the searches online and with various forums only shows that people have complained about loss of power and responsiveness from fitting this airbox, although im yet to see one mapped before and after this mod. For that reason im a little put off...

Rumour has it that the V6 Airbox is used as a restrictor in the Clio Cup. I think the general consensus is it gives more noise and more low down torque but, like yourself I haven't seen a definitive before/after with remap graph yet. I think Woody was running the standard airbox with ~230BHP!?! I got the Espace box for £10, so if it's crap I've not realy lost anything.

But woody had silly expensive headwork so that can be put down to that and not the airbox.

As mentioned by many the R3 runs 230bhp so i doubt its a restriction. The Race car only runs 205bhp cos its more or less a standard lump with better management, i doubt its airbox related, especially as its three times the size of the OEM setup.

the espace v6 airbox is a cylinder box similar to ph1 172s. Jms have made a kit up 4 172/182 using this setup.

The Espace one also comes in a rectangle shape, like a stretched version of the Clio V6 one. :wink:

Yeah, that's my point, the standard setup could flow enough air through it to allow Woody to make ~230BHP, so it must be pretty good. :smile:

Dyno with & without the airbox - one of the best mods!

And with the same remap before & after:

Clio-197---Miltek--V6-airbox--lightweight-flywheel--remap-VS-Miltek--remap.jpg

I've wrote about it a couple of times already.