Tyre Choice

Hello All,

I am about to replace all four of the Conti Contact Sport 3 tyres on my 197 and wondered if anyone had views on whether to replace them with the same or go for something else?

I've had no real issues with the continentals other than a bit of lift-off oversteer in wet conditions.

Is there anything better at a comparable price?

Thanks for the advice.

quite a few on here are trying hankooks v12s from what ive heard them pretty good

Just had 2 Hankook V12s on the front of mine. Very good price (£76 fitted) and they seem good so far. It depends how much you want to spend, but I would say go for the Hankooks if you want the performance of the CS3 at a fraction of the cost. Michelin Exalto PE2 are supposed to be good but they are expensive.

I've got Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymmetric (Rear) and Eagle F1 GSD3'S (Front) and love them both. (GSD3's have been discontinued though I think)

Give plenty of grip come rain or shine, softer compound so will wear faster but make the ride slightly more comfortable and a reduction in road noise. Also slightly cheaper than the Conti's :smile: Fancied a change and not been let down.

I've gone for Dunlop SP Sport 3000's. Mainly because I got a good deal on them.

Having them fitted next week.

I'll let you know what I think.:tongueout:roud:

Toyo Proxy T1R's, only £72 from Camskill, haven't got them on the Clio yet but had them on all my other cars and they're great.

Got F1 Assymmetrics on the back (with the old Contis onthe front) so a bit difficult to judge.

Ride seems marginally softer so I suspect the sidewalls are a little softer. Beyond that it's difficult to provide any further feedback.

I used Falken FK-452 (falkens flagship tyre made in goodyear factory) and I cant rate them enough. I have a fantastic country road to drive to work on every day with superb corners, and it grips to every one seemlessly! Gives me real confidence when I need it

FK452.jpg

EVO tested a load of tyres in this months issue.
Conti3's came out on top.
I'd keep it OEM tbh.

Hi Ferg
I was just going to mention EVO mag's tyre test too - Conti 3's seems to be the best all round choice. Love the Toyo 888's for dry (trackdays) though...

EVO tested a load of tyres in this months issue.
Conti3's came out on top.
I'd keep it OEM tbh.

You mean the test they conducted at the ContiDrom? Not in the slightest bit suspicious that the Conti's won, or that half the tyres you'd be looking to choose from weren't tested...

:wink:

Ye you need to consider things like this when looking at any reviews. Tyretest.com are reviews done by motorists. Auto Build the German car magazine did tests last year with a range of high range sports tyres and the Hankooks beat off many of the more renown premium brands as they were in the top 2 in 6 of the 10 tests (just for example I can't remember how many tests they did now!) and I think the lowest they came in any single test was something like 6 out of 10. They tested all kinds of things, wet braking and cornering, dry braking and cornering etc. I think they used a Cayman for all the test too so they got the results from one specific vehicle. I think the Hankook V12 Evo's came second, but the first place tyres were nearly double the price. The tester commented on how surprised he was by the Hankook's. BTW, I used Google translator and freetranslation.com to read it! Lol!

have heard very good things about f1 assymetric they come in different variants and the xl version has stiffer sidewalls, think i will try these also dont rate conti's whatsoever very dissapointed to be honest never had any good experiences with falken,would love michelin pilot sport 2 but they only come in 225/45 but they will physical fit without probs but little bit bigger rolling radius

Similar Thread Suggestions