Lack of tyre choice....

Ryster

Paid Member
Looking for 4 new tyres, always had Yokohama Parada's on my cars and to my horror they dont make them in the Clio size. So does anyone else feel there is a lack of choice for the Clio, I could only see one or two tyres Id consider on camskil.

Also wondering where people are buying these Federal rsr's? Cant find them anywhere!

There a so many tyre options. What are you after? Aren't Paradas discontinued? (And poo in the wet?) As mentioned the Kumho KU39 is popular on here for a mid range tyre. I'm about to order some Syron Street Race as a few on here rave about them. £56 a corner you can't complain either

I've never had a car with so much choice lol.

Especially in 225 width

I have the Kumho Ex Spt and they are great in wet and dry. Also will be looking for the semi race tyre (Syron Street Race) for the harder track days when I am not running slicks

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2..... best all round tyre for the Clio. Unless you're doing track days you need nothing else. £90 a corner.

Eagle F1 Asymmetric 2..... best all round tyre for the Clio. Unless you're doing track days you need nothing else. £90 a corner.
I have these all round and they are superb, will be swapping the fronts when they're worn and trying a some NS-2R's though.

Not defending the NS2R as I have never used them, but they are not a semi-slick like the Toyo R888 so of course they wont grip aswell. They compare with the Toyo R1R's and also the Yoko AD08R's, Federal RSR's etc. These bridge the gap from the likes of the F1's to R888 and A048's etc.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cups don't come in the right fitment either. You have to drop sidewall height to a 215/40/17 or go wider in either a 225/40/17 or 225/45/17. I'd opt for either of the 40 profiles to reduce the radius slightly as in theory better acceleration. For that reason I personally wouldn't touch a 225/45/17 for the Clio although many on here do.

They are certainly calling them a semi slick on nankangs web site. I thought they were a proper R rated tyre?
My mate has them in soft compound.

You can get the michelin pilot 'super sports' (not mpsc) in 215/45/17 when I looked.

The NS -2R'S are a R compound and in tests are out performing the AD08'S, 595's and the like.

In some ways is unfair to compare them to a 888 when the Toyo's are nearly £100per corner more. I have several customers who say they won't be going back to the 888 not because the NS -2R'S are better but because they feel the 888's are not worth another £400 a set.

Only thing i found with the nangkangs is that it takes a bit of time to get the pressures right to get the right grip. Great tyre for price.

Call them what they want, but they are not semi in tread design or compound(s)

NS2R (treadwear: 120 and 180 - 180 is def not semi at all! 120 is borderline):
Nankang-NS-2R.jpg

Federal RS-R (140 and not a semi - much closer to NS2R):
federal-595-rs-r.jpg
Federal FZ-201 (treadwear: 60. AKA a proper semi):
b_photo_1353391483319.jpg

I'm not spending anymore time looking but A048's are typically about a 60 treadwear I seem to remember, again chuff all groves compared to the NS2R.
R888's are the same story, what about 100 treadwear, much less groves again than a NS2R.

Nankang might be a good tyre, might sit nicelyin the bracket between semi and sports (perhaps more towards semi than even yoko etc), but it's not a semi just because the marketing men decide it is :wink: